Food Truck Caravan offers variety and entertainment in Old Town

Saturday nights are a chance to sample the best eats that local businesses have to offer

Caity Hemmerle, Feature Editor

From gourmet grilled cheese to homemade ice cream, Scottsdale’s Food Truck Caravan rolls through Old Town every Saturday night and offers attendees a unique dining experience.

Located at 5th Avenue and Goldwater Boulevard, this event gives guests the opportunity to sample from some of Arizona’s finest food trucks all in one location.

“The event is family and pet friendly, so you can bring anybody,” Lori Baker, founder of the Food Truck Caravan, said. “There’s places to sit, there’s live music, and people can sample food from different trucks and taste together so you’re not committed to one genre for your supper. It makes it easy if you’re going out with friends and you can’t decide where to eat. You can come to our place and have ten options.”

The event takes place every Saturday, but each weekend is a whole new experience for those in attendance.

“It’s a reoccurring event, and we have eight to twelve trucks every Saturday night and they’re all on a rotation,” Baker said.

A goal of the event is to bring the community together. Communal tables are offered for guests to sit at while enjoying their meal to socialize with friends and neighbors.

The Food Truck Caravan also offers rentable tents for a special night or guests can reserve their own table for just $20 a night.

As well as being a place to socialize, attending the Food Truck Caravan is also a way for members of the community to support local business in the valley.

“Students should come to support local business,” Baker said. “All the trucks are independently owned and operated.”

Local musicians are also featured each Saturday at the Food Truck Caravan. The lineup of the musicians performing for guests’ entertainment changes weekly.

The Food Truck Caravan is offered every Saturday night from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in Old Town Scottsdale. Parking and admission is free, and then it is up to guests what trucks they want to indulge in.

“It’s a fun night out without any commitment,” Baker said. “It’s centrally located and it’s got a really laid back vibe.  There is nothing else like it in Scottsdale.”

For more information about the Food Truck Caravan, go to their website at http://foodtruckcaravan.com.