Drawing exhibition showcases variety of styles

SCC professor Robert You’s annual exhibit runs through Thursday

Melissa Schleuger stands opposite her drawing Tippy.” This drawing is graphite-on-paper, measures 18 by 24 and runs for $400.

Naif Yılmaz/Scottsdale Chronicle

Melissa Schleuger stands opposite her drawing “Tippy.” This drawing is graphite-on-paper, measures 18” by 24” and runs for $400.

Chris Hunter, Reporter, Scottsdale Chronicle

The 16th Annual Drawing Exhibition is currently taking place in the art building foyer at SCC.

Professor Robert  You began this exhibition in 1999 during his first year at the school. He displays the artwork of his advanced drawing students that he considers to be more reminiscent of true artists rather than students.

You emigrated to the United States  in 1985 as a student after spending 13 years teaching in his native China. You has the utmost respect for art and was taught both Eastern and Western artistic stylings. His students are instructed with a blend of cultural background between East and West in his classes.

Students of the drawing classes have had the opportunity to learn both the stringent technique and the individualistic messaging through art that people from Western cultures have cultivated through the decades. You points to government influences that Eastern art must respect as the major difference between East and West. Subtlety is necessary in China because consequences can arise from challenging the government.

“Too obvious you get into trouble,” You said. “Subtlety isn’t about avoiding, it is about being more poetic.”

The major reason he has kept this drawing exhibition tradition alive for all these years is because he wants his artists – a term he prefers over students – to be inspired by the works of their peers. He wants his artists to be free thinkers for themselves and for others.

Melissa Schleuger has experience in having her work exhibited in galleries. She noted that the drawing exhibition is very similar to professional galleries, except that one doesn’t get multiple “no”’s before getting a “yes.”

One artist has created an autobiographical piece that is on display. John Smith, who said he has no professional art aspirations, is taking advanced drawing because he wanted to enhance himself and become more well-rounded.

Sharri Wood created a tribute piece to Salvador Dali and his many paintings, pulling many aspects from his works. Her featured work is a portrait of Dali with an eyeball in his mouth because, according to Wood, “it just worked.”

Art should captivate and inspire its audience and induce great conversation. Through this exhibition, You has done all that and more.

The exhibit will be up until Oct. 8.