Scottsdale ArtWalk features array of talented artists each week

Samantha Smith, Reporter

The Scottsdale ArtWalk is the longest and oldest ArtWalk in the country. This 30-year tradition takes place every Thursday from 7-9 p.m.

It is a free event that features over two blocks of local artists and art galleries located primarily between Main Street and Marshall Way in downtown Scottsdale. This culturally rich event exposes guests to the thriving and eclectic area that is the Scottsdale Arts District.

Every Thursday, Galleries belonging to the Scottsdale Gallery Association(SGA) invite tourists and locals alike into their galleries to show off and explain their work.

Art One Gallery is one of the many galleries featured on the walk. Kraig Foote, the owner of Art One, features work from high schools and colleges.

Foote also works with One Step Beyond,a program designed to help individuals with Developmental Disabilities seek fulfillment. The gallery is also home to the Newlon-Foote Foundation for Student Artists. The program raises money and creates scholarships for schools with under funded art programs. This thriving gallery has a rich environment with employees that prefer hugs to handshakes.

The Scottsdale ArtWalk features art of all types. Whether you are a fan of traditional art or historical pieces there will be a gallery that catches your eye.

One of the more unique galleries on the walk is Touchstone Gallery. This gallery features museum quality minerals and fossils. Susy and Lorraine, two of Touchstones employees, showed me around their large collection of prehistoric fossils, gemstone jewelry, and stunning home decor. History fans and new arrivals to the ArtWalk will have no problem finding something that they enjoy in this diverse gallery.

If you’re looking for a gallery that promotes a good cause, look no further then Method Art Gallery. Method is a multi-type gallery owned and operated by Davin LaVikka. LaVikka is a photographer whose studio is located at Method itself. The gallery is also home to large format demonstrations and an in-studio painter. Method is currently featuring sculptor Alexi Devilliers. Devilliers creates all of his sculptures from cans. The steam-punk inspired pieces are always made from the recycled cans he uses to feed the homeless.

Many of the galleries featured on the walk have been participating for many years. Casa de Artistas, owned by Antonio Mona, has been operating for over 30 years. Casa features colorful southwestern and Native American inspired art.

Mona believes that the ArtWalk is truly an event for everyone. He suggests making the ArtWalk a gathering for friends and loved ones. The walk is also home to many restaurants, cafes, and bars that make it the perfect setting for date night or girls night out.

Many galleries that participate in the ArtWalk have special receptions and featured Artists. The ArtWalk that took place Feb. 19 is the 24th Annual Western ArtWalk. This special event is being co-hosted by the SGA and the legendary Parada del Sol.

This particular ArtWalk is featuring nonprofit organizations, such as Horses Help, a therapeutic recreational agency that helps the special needs population break down barriers with the help of horses.

Many galleries such as Wilde Meyer, Bonnier David, and Sunmor Fine Art are hosting special exhibits and receptions in conjunction with this event.

The Scottsdale ArtWalk features art of all types. Whether you are a fan of traditional art or historical pieces there is something for every kind of art lover.