Phoenix Art Museum hosts Da Vinci exhibit

The Phoenix Art Museum has brought the polymath back to life through a special exhibition

Kara Brown, Reporter

When it comes to Leonardo Da Vinci, we are all familiar with his paintings – the Last Supper, the Mona Lisa, the Vitruvian Man – all works of art that require a plane ticket to Europe in order to view.

Conveniently, some of Da Vinci’s works are now on display in Arizona.

The Phoenix Art Museum has brought the Italian intellectual back to life through an exhibition featuring Da Vinci himself. Da Vinci’s Codex Leicester and the Power of Observation focuses on the only manuscript by Da Vinci in an American collection. The exhibit displays a total of 72 pages of the Codex Leicester.

Da Vinci wrote his observations on nature, primarily about the movement and control of water.  The artwork consists of 18 sheets of paper front-to-back and side-to-side.

In addition, since the exhibition deals with a close observation concept, the Phoenix Art Museum, in partnership with other museums, has added numerous works from other artists ranging from Da Vinci’s time to the present.

According to the Phoenix Art Museum’s webpage, “Leonardo’s active mind and working method are defined in this exhibition by three primary characteristics: curiosity, direct observation, and thinking on paper.”

Dr. Jerry Smith, the lead curator of the show, describes the “close observation” concept.

“We were fortunate that the owners of the Codex were looking to have the work travel,” Smith said. “They were interested to have the work be put in a broader concept than having the work being showed by itself.”

The exhibition has attracted many art enthusiasts to the local museum as well. Arizona resident Kelly Conway has visited European museums featuring Leonardo Da Vinci’s paintings for several years now.

“I’ve always enjoyed seeing different works by Da Vinci, but it’s even better getting to enjoy it in my home state,” Conway said

The Da Vinci Exhibition is open until April 12. It is located in the Steele Gallery of the Phoenix Art Museum. The exhibition is included in General Admission. GA tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for students with ID, $12 for Seniors, and $6 for children under the age of six.