SCC hosts ‘Excellence under the Stars’

The “Excellence under the Stars” event honors those students who have recorded extraordinary achievements at the school

Ahtesham Azhar/Scottsdale Chronicle

Therese Tendick, director of the Center for Civic & Global Engagement, speaks during SCC’s “Excellence under the Stars” event on April 22, 2015. Dr. Jan Gehler, the president of the school, is to her right.

Ahtesham Azhar, Reporter

“I believe strongly to recognize and celebrate hard work of students,” SCC president Jan Gehler said. Recognition motivates students and faculty members as well.”

Dr. Gehler expressed these views in the “Excellence under the Stars” ceremony, organized by SCC and held near the campus’ Two Waters Circle on Wednesday. The award ceremony is an annual practice, organized by the college in order to acknowledge efforts of students. This year, a total of 149 students have been recognized for their extraordinary efforts by faculty members.

“It is very important for us and for parents to see students being recognized,” Gehler said. “It brings pleasure to parents when they see their children being recognized by faculty members through an award, hug and handshake.”

Gehler said that the faculty loves the event, now in its 15th year. She also said that it is the only such event in the district.

“It is an honor to be a part of this group and being recognized,” award winner Paige Shacklett said. Shacklett won for initiating a social media project for the school.

“I am so excited to have this award. I feel my hard work is valued by others,” she said.  “This award is a source of motivation for me to work more hard in future.”

Kelly Rice, another award winner, was similarly elated at the recognition.

“I am so proud to achieve the excellence award,” Rice said. “I am so grateful to my parents, friends and faculty members who supported me a lot through the year. This award has made me determined to work hard in future.”

Bhoopali Nandurkar, an award-winning international student, said that being honored at an American college was a “matter of pride and honor.” She received awards for excellence in English writing and Public Speaking – even though English is her second language.

“This recognition is special for me because not only have I followed the American standards and expectations in the education system, but also proudly retained and shared my Indian culture in the class,” Nandurkar said. “While I received the awards on stage, I was not only a student of SCC but also an ambassador and representative of my country. The award is surely a great motivation for me, to make myself better each day. It has proven that I have the capability to not only do what’s expected out of me, but also to put in ‘extra’ efforts.”