Street-length slip and slide comes to the Valley

Fountain Hills hosted its first Slide the City event

Kara Brown, Reporter

For the first time, a citywide slip and slide event, Slide the City, came to the Valley. Locals escape the Arizona heat by sliding the city of Fountain Hills on a 1,000-foot-long slip and slide.

The event took place on Saturday, April 25, from 12-5 p.m. and was open from 11-5 for VIP guests. The location of the event was at Palisades Boulevard, and many people parked at Fountain Hills High School, as well as nearby businesses.

“It was created in an effort to get people outside, having fun and connecting with their community,” Slide the City representative Emily Sanchez said.

This family-friendly event entailed many cool activities that range from the ages of 5 to 65. There were three lanes on the slide itself – one for families, one for solo riders and one for groups. Sliders were encouraged to bring their own tube or purchase one at the event.  In addition to the slides, there were food trucks and music at the event.

“The average tarp slip and slide I make in my backyard is nothing compared to this level of magnitude,” Arizona State student Maryanna Baumer said.

Slide the City has toured across the nation since 2014. Since then it has shown tremendous growth. The qualifications for the event to come to a local city is that the population size must be adequate enough for a big turnout. The city must also have a hill, making Fountain Hills a great location for the event.

The event is drawing back many familiar faces this year now that it is occurring in Arizona for the first time.

Bethany Martinez, sophomore at SCC, has attended Slide The City event before.

“I’m really excited that they’re bringing it to Arizona,” she said. “I went to the one in Palm Beach and it was the most fun I have ever had on a slip and slide. I’m actually pretty surprised that the Arizona Desert wasn’t one of the first cities to host the event.”

The event is partnered with Mothers Without Borders in Fountain Hills, where a portion of the proceeds will benefit the charity.