Regional, national and global student reporting.

Film fest social brings together local filmmaking talent

Local filmmaking artists mingle and congregate at the event’s chosen venue, the Cobra Arcade Bar in Downtown Phoenix

Travis R. Gishie

Travis R. Gishie

Travis R. Gishie, Features Editor

The Filmstock Film Festival, a southwestern film fest, includes aspiring film talent from states such as New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Its sixth annual event is in the making.

The festival hosts short films and holds an annual awards event in Arizona, its premiere spot to showcase local film talent from the four corners of the southwest.

It also hosts monthly social events for up and coming filmmaker, actors, producers, and those that are passionate about the film industry, providing them opportunities to mingle.

One of the festival’s social events was held at a venue in downtown Phoenix known as Cobra Arcade Bar, a local spot that serves its customers with fun in the form of retro standup arcade games from the past, as well as with a bar that has a local flair to it.

But this isn’t the only venue for mingling outside of professional events such as seminars or workshops.

Melissa Anne Marie Farley, an actor’s liaison for the Filmstock Film Festival, says, “It can be a really intimidating experience to try to introduce yourself to someone at one of those workshops and seminars, but here when your just chilling out at a local downtown bar, it’s a lot easier to go up to someone and be like ‘HEY! I really wanted to meet you!’ and strike up a conversation. So, we’re connecting people who want to work together.”

Short films by local Phoenix film talent can be discovered at not only the Filmstock Film Festival but also at the IndieAZ Film Fest. The IndieAZ Fest, which is in its second year of running, brings together local Arizona film talent as well as celebrities for causes that benefit charities.

Angela Friis, a co-founder of the IndieAZ Fest, says, “The IndieAZ Fest is getting ready to launch our second year. It’ll be in July. And what it is it’s a big red carpet event. It’s all for Arizona. We bring in local vendors. We bring in celebrities. We do it for different charities that we sponsor. This year it’s all about domestic abuse and stopping the bullying.”

Wanting to support talent in Phoenix and its surrounding cities is what drives local entrepreneurs and producers, such as Cassidy Michael Frank Torrey, the CEO of Broken Door Media, to attend socials like the one at the Cobra Arcade.

“I like to support the people who are producing quality work and try to do something active with the Arizona community,” Torrey says. “Basically, I find that a lot of people don’t have a lot of business sense in film and that’s where they fail. Just to see people coming out with quality film in AZ, that’s been my goal. That’s how I’ve survived is because quality products are my business. It’s good to see that like-minded people try to make Phoenix a venue for film.”

For more information please visit filmstockfestival.com, brokendoormedia.com, chronicbehavior.com, and IndieAZ Fest’s websites for more information.