American Indian club gives guidance

The Sun Earth Alliance Club forms an important part of SCC’s American Indian Program

Alicia Harvey/Scottsdale Chronicle

Members of the Sun Earth Indian Club meet with each other to discuss.

Alicia Harvey, Reporter, Scottsdale Chronicle

The Sun Earth Alliance Indian Club (SEAIC) is only a small part of the American Indian Program here at Scottsdale Community College. Their main motivation is to revitalize the advancement of American Indian students and enhancing cultural awareness in addition to planning and integrating school and community activities.

This campus program, in its purest sense, is here to help Native Americans.

According to educationworld.com, only 9.3 percent of Native American students earn a college degree compared with the national average of non natives at 20.3 percent.

Since SCC is located on the Salt River Reservation, it makes sense for Salt River to try and help out Native American students who are pursuing a higher education. The club is here to have a place where natives, and non-natives, can come and relax. To learn or to get some of their homework done in an environment where they feel comfortable.

Advisor Charissa Sundust, who has been with the club for a year or two, put together an email program that reaches out to club members so they are up to date with the latest information on various activities.

“I was putting together a more appealing email for students to look at, make it more e ective, to make them responsive to events,” Sundust said.

The club’s members are from various tribes, in which they learn about one another’s while also teaching others about their own culture. Members help each other with positive feedback and being active within the group. Club member Del Gonzales shared his thoughts about the club.

“I really enjoyed it, to go out and do di erent things within the club,” Gonzales said.

The club o ers opportunities for members such as, volunteering, scholarships, and internships.

In 2015, SEAIC introduced their rst ever-social gathering event here at SCC’s Two Waters Circle. The event took place throughout the day and presented a taste of Native American culture like gourd dancing.

The event that day highlighted cultural traditions that are not familiar to many non-natives. The SEAIC club is open to anyone who is interested in learning about and being active in various cultures and events.