Inside the fitness center at SCC

Sarah Hawkins/SCC

The sign out in front of the fitness center at SCC

Sarah Hawkins, Reporter

Whether you are a first time exerciser or an advanced athlete, the Fitness Center at Scottsdale Community College is here to help you reach your goals.

Students have access to state of the art equipment, personal training and instruction from trainers who have completed a four-year degree in fitness fields and are certified through the Arizona Community College system.

Michele Kuhn, SCC’s Fitness Center trainer for 18 years, explains how important it is to get the students involved.

“Getting the students involved creates a student life on campus,” Kuhn said. “It’s a nice place to go in between classes. We’re a 30 thousand square foot facility, but we treat it like a mom and pop shop. Meaning we know people. People want to go where people know them and make new friends.”

The Fitness Center is located off of Parking lot A, held in the Fitness and Wellness Center (FW) building.

SCC fitness center isn’t just for the students Kuhn explains.

“We represent the community in age range and fitness level,” Kuhn said. “We’ll have people ages 18-90 plus come workout in our fitness center. We’re open to the students, all employees and faculty, and anyone in the community.”

The fitness center is also free to Salt River Pima Maricopa Native American tribal members.

Membership with the Fitness Center ranges from credit options, non-credit options, annual enrollment and four month enrollment. Credit options include, PED 115 Lifetime Fitness (two credits) and PED 101FL Fitness for Life (one credit.) Non-credit options, you must be sixteen years old with a signed consent and health history form from parents or legal guardians.

A total of 29 different group classes are taught at the fitness center. Some classes are, “Yoga, pilates, zumba, boot camp if you’re feeling feisty, spin, stretch and flex, barre class, silversneakers geared towards the senior population, and tai chi. We have a bit of everything,” Kuhn says.

Sarah Hawkins/SCC
The various equipment the fitness center has to offer

Kuhn explains a little about the benefits of working out.

“I see people who are active and eat healthy their whole life, and they’re 90!” Kuhn said. With medical technology and advancements, we’re living longer. But if I want to live longer I want to have a better quality of life. I don’t want to live 10 years longer and be sick those 10 years.”

Scottsdale Community College Fitness and Wellness Center is here to help achieve the goals you set for yourself. For more information about the Fitness and Wellness center, visit their website or call them at (480)-432-66041