Phi Theta Kappa: most prestigious honor society for two-year college offers academic opportunity at SCC

Monse Apud

A recent meeting of Phi Theta Kappa, Lisa Towers President (to the left) and Marwah M. Asad VP of Public Relations (to the right) talking about upcoming projects.

Phi Theta Kappa, in the recent past, has been a relatively unknown organization on the Scottsdale Community College campus—even to the potential student members that qualify.

Phi Theta Kappa, recognized as the premier affiliate of Phi Beta Kappa at the university level, gives members in-state transfer opportunities as well as lifetime scholarship priority to particular universities upon application

The recently appointed adviser for Phi Theta Kappa, Matthew Healy, spoke to Northeast Valley News about some of the advantages of being a member.

“One of my fondest highlights was guiding two students through complete tuition waivers,” Healy said.

He also said that Phi Theta Kappa is “life changing,” and that “students who enroll are presented the opportunity to join a tight-knit “family” style honor society.”

Eliana Rodriguez has embraced her role as Vice President of Membership of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society at Scottsdale Community College.

“I had the GPA for a long time, I just did not know what to do with it,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said she had been experiencing “one of the most difficult times of my life,” and that the tremendous support of the Phi Theta Kappa faculty was always there for her through her distress.

Rodriguez is the recipient of the “All Arizona” academic scholarship. Her accomplishments and scholarship will cover the costs of her bachelor’s degree as well as fees for enrollment at Arizona State University Barrett Honors College.

Phi Theta Kappa meets every other Monday from 3:00 p.m. -4:15 p.m. in room LC 369.

Both reporters of record are affiliated with Phi Theta Kappa.