Arizona quarterbacks projected among top picks in next year’s draft

Frankieleon (Flickr)

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley packed up and headed west to USC.

Alex Keeler, Reporter

Every year top high school recruits from Arizona commit to elite college programs across the country.

Some of them make it to the NFL.  But sometimes we lose track of these talented young athletes between the time they leave for college and the draft.

Arizonans will want to keep a close eye on the upcoming college football season and next year’s draft as three local quarterbacks could make history.

No high schooler from Arizona has ever been among the first two picks in the NFL draft – but that could soon change.

Current Oklahoma quarterback and Pinnacle High School alumni, Spencer Rattler, is not only projected to be a top pick in 2022 but some experts have him going No.1 overall.

The Phoenix native led the Oklahoma Sooners to an 11-2 record last fall – throwing for over 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns.

He is a preseason Heisman contender this year.

Current Texas Tech quarterback and former Oregon Duck, Tyler Shough, is another elite prospect who should expected to hear his name early in next year’s Draft.

The former Hamilton High School quarterback from Chandler recently led the Oregon Ducks to a seemingly paltry 4-3 record, however, the Ducks still managed to win the Pac-12 Championship Game against USC.

Following the COVID-19 shortened 2020 season, Shough transferred to Texas Tech after third-year quarterback Alan Bowman transferred out.

While Rattler seems to be the early favorite to go first overall, a strong 2021 campaign from Shough may be enough to put him in the conversation for No. 1.

Current University of Southern California quarterback, Kedon Slovis, is another big-name prospect from Arizona who has a real chance to make history in next April’s NFL draft.

The Scottsdale native and former Desert Mountain High School quarterback led the USC Trojans to a 5-1 record in 2020. Their only loss came in the Pac-12 Championship Game to Oregon against Tyler Shough.

Slovis will look to lead his USC Trojans back to the Pac-12 Championship this upcoming season, where he could potentially boost his already high draft stock.