Cinco de Mayo celebrations return, some revelers still don’t understand holiday

Alpha (Flickr)

Get out your best Fiesta clothes for Cinco de Mayo

Alex Keeler, Reporter

Cinco de Mayo is quickly approaching and many Valley residents are looking for the best places to celebrate the popular Hispanic holiday on Thursday. 

While Cinco de Mayo has been celebrated in the United States for a VERY long time, many people don’t know the real reason as to why this special day is celebrated.  

Many believe that May 5 is recognized as Mexico’s Independence Day. That is NOT TRUE, as Mexico’s Independence Day takes place on September 16. 

“Most people drinking in the bars have no idea that it’s celebrating the strength in the power and the resilience of Mexican people to overcome invaders who are trying to take their land,” said Alexandro Gradilla, associate professor of Chicana and Chicano Studies at California State University, Fullerton. 

The real reason for celebrating  Cinco de Mayo, is that during the Franco-Mexican war,  Mexico’s army defeated the French army at the Battle of Puebla on the fifth of May in 1862. 

After taking a 2-year hiatus due to COVID-19, many events around the valley are making a return for this year’s Cinco de Mayo. 

Cinco de Mayo party at Lucky’s 

Lucky’s indoor outdoor will be kicking off the fiesta on Thursday with live music,  as well as  food and drink specials from 4-10 p.m. 

From 4-7 p.m., the bar will be serving $6 house margaritas, $8 specialty margaritas, and $6 Modelo’s. 

The party will be at full-go at 6pm, when the DJ will start playing live music. 

There is no admission fee to attend this event, however, YOU MUST BE 21 OR OVER in order to participate. 

Lucky’s Indoor Outdoor is located at 817 N. 2nd Street, Phoenix. 

Find out more by calling (602) 975-8156 or visiting https://www.luckysphx.com/contact. 

Los Sombreros 

Los Sombrero’s will be having a fiesta of their own from 11 a.m.-11 p.m. on Thursday to help celebrate the best of Mexican cuisines and culture. 

Like Lucky’s indoor outdoor, Los Sombreros will also be offering specials on food and drinks as well as live music. 

Los Sombreros will have $5 margaritas, 5$ Mexican beer, and $5 Los Sombreros tacos (Ribeye, Chicken, Carnitas, Al Pastor). 

There is no reservation required and there is no entrance fee. 

To find your nearest Los Sombreros location, visit https://www.lossombreros.com/.