Former Peoria High School and Scottsdale Community College wide receiver breaks into pros with Sioux Falls Storm of IFL.

Trae Harrell

Kahliq Muhammad signs autographs

Tim Slone, Reporter

Kahliq Muhammad began playing football his freshman year of high school, after years of playing basketball for a number of high-level AAU teams in the Valley.

With 1,575 receiving yards and 91 catches in two full years of varsity football, Muhammad looked to further his playing career at Scottsdale Community College.   Following two successful years at Scottsdale Community College, Muhammad went on to play two seasons at Clarion University, where he had 69 catches for 931 yard over two seasons.

He says that going to Junior College after high school paid huge benefits to his growth as a player.  Physically, he was able to add more size and muscle.  Mentally, it allowed him to learn in-depth details about his position as well as develop the ability to read what opposing defenses were running against him.

“In juco I really developed my game,”  Muhammad said.

After High school, some students struggle to adapt to the college sports atmosphere.  There’s a shift from a family-like team vibe in High School, to a more independent feel in college, with kids coming in from various places to make the team.

In junior college, quite a few students come from difficult backgrounds in hopes of gaining a high-level scholarship to play football at a university.

“Juco prepared me for the pros just because of how cutthroat it was, Muhammad said.  “It was either you were going to do your job, or you weren’t — there was no in between.”

After a successful college career, Muhammad recently signed his first professional contract with the Sioux Falls Storm of the Indoor Football League.

Muhammad’s first game with the Storm was March 24, against Kurt Warner’s former team, the Iowa Barnstormers. In that game, he caught seven balls for 92 yards and a touchdown.

Since then, Muhammad has 12 more catches for 110 yards and another touchdown over three games.

“It easy getting adjusted,” Muhammad said about playing in the IFL. “Because I understand I have a job to do to the best of my ability.”

Muhammad hopes to continue his professional career with the ultimate goal of landing an NFL contract.

He has also started a new YouTube channel to show people the other side of athletes pursuing a professional career.