Summer monsoon storms damage property, down power lines, outages remain in Eloy, Arizona City

AZ SR 87 remains closed between Mesa and Fountain Hills as crews work to repair downed transmission lines

Phillip Pessar (Flickr)

Ole Olafson, Reporter

Sunday night, violent monsoon storms wreaked havoc across Phoenix and the surrounding areas.

Heavy rain — up to an inch and a half, fell in certain areas, and strong winds uprooted trees and toppled power lines.

Newsweek reported that perhaps 40,000 people were without power Sunday night.

A large number of those outages occurred as a result of major transmission lines which were flattened by extremely high winds north of Mesa.

Azcentral.com reported that winds between 80-100 mph were recorded near AZ State Route 87 and Gilbert Rd. not far from the location where steel towers supporting those transmissions lines were crumpled by the storm.  In addition to widespread outages, the downed lines caused the complete closure of SR 87 north of the 202 freeway and south of Shea Blvd. at Fountain Hills.

On Tuesday, 7,106 Pinal County residents, mostly near the towns of Eloy and Arizona City are still without power as temperatures in the area continue to soar above 100 degrees.

According to the APS outage map, cooling shelters have been established at Tolec Middle School Gymnasium and Santa Cruz High School Gymnasium in downtown Eloy.

Temporary ice stations have been set up at Arizona City Golf Course, 13939 Cleator Rd. and Eloy City Hall, 595 North C St.

The most recent update at time of writing indicated that power should be restored to those customers by around 8 p.m. Tuesday evening.