Artichoke men’s basketball begins new era under interim head coach Curtis Millage

%233+SCC+guard+Charles+Temple+
NEVN photography
#3 SCC guard Charles Temple

The Scottsdale Community College men’s basketball season is officially underway.

Scottsdale enters the season under new interim head coach Curtis Millage.

Millage brings over a decade of professional playing experience as well as prior coaching experience to an exceptionally talented artichokes team that is coming off back-to-back NJCAA National Tournament appearances.

“It translates very easy,” Millage said. “As long as I have been playing basketball, I have been a coach, especially at the point guard position.”

SCC started with a bang, blowing out Park University-Gilbert JV on Monday night, by a final score of 104-51.

Even though the game was one-sided, it gave an early glimpse into a new look Artichokes team.

The Artichokes had a few chances to work out the kinks before Monday’s opener in a series of preseason scrimmages.

They split their two games at the ACCAC Jamboree before losing in overtime to Arizona Sol and finishing their preseason schedule with a win over Skyline PG.

Not only does the team have a new head coach, but they have also added some fresh faces through the transfer portal.

“I bring defense intensity and rebounding and of course shoot,” newly transferred sophomore guard Chuck Temple said about what he contributes to the team.

Temple comes all the way from Miami Dade college, looking for a better opportunity with Millage and the Artichokes.

“I chose Scottsdale because its back home closer to family and it’s a better opportunity than where I was last year.”

This year’s team will also be joined by a handful of impactful freshmen.

First-year player King Turner is an imposing 6’4 guard who brings the ability to finish around the rim and attack the hoop.

He likes the fight this team brings.

“I think we always play hard…couple of those games we started out a little slow, but we kept fighting and came back all the way,” Turner said of the team’s performance so far.

He also put a positive light on the new coaching staff.

“Coach brings a lot of different information, wisdom and knowledge about the game.  Especially him playing at a higher level. He brings the best out of us every practice, every game,” Turner said.

Even though winning is important to any coach, Millage expects his athletes to excel in the classroom.

“I know there are a lot of high expectations, but education comes first and that is the reason I am here, is to change that program around,” Millage said.

Scottsdale takes the court next on Nov. 10 when they host Skyline Prep JV in the main gym of the P.E. building.