The Artichoke Grill offers unique experience for diners and workers alike

Siti Hajerah
Artichoke Grill on Scottsdale Community College (SCC) campus

If you have visited the campus of Scottsdale Community College you may have noticed the cafeteria dubbed Artie’s Café.

However, tucked away in a slightly less traveled section of campus, there is another dining option called The Artichoke Grill.

The Artichoke Grill is actually much more than a restaurant, it is an educational setting.

A working classroom for students in the culinary program at SCC.

The program has been around for about 35 years, and culinary arts director Ashley Holian calls it “one of Scottsdale’s best kept secrets”.

One reason the grill is not widely known is because it is only open for a few weeks, for about two hours a day.

“We are only open a couple hours a day because it’s just a simulation, we are not profit driven,” Holian said.

The program is designed for the students to gain experience in a restaurant environment without all the pressure of a restaurant setting.

“It gives us the experience that we can learn stuff in restaurants, without the stress of having to cater to the customer,” culinary student Zach Rash said of the work experience.

The grill features a rotating menu with vegetarian and gluten free offerings as well as a “grab-n-go” option for those who lack the time for a sit-down meal.

Reservations are required for dine-in customers.

Visit the Artichoke Grill website for available dates and menu options along with a link to make your reservation online or call the dining room at (480)423-6084.

There is no other culinary program in the Maricopa County Community College District quite like the one at SCC and the Artichoke Grill makes it truly unique.