International club event opens window to cultural exploration

Stefan Rafael/SCC

Chief organizer of the event Charles Boyle speaking about the topic ‘Relationships and Marriage’.

Anjitha Melekoote Suresh, Reporter/SCC

The International Students club organized an “intercultural evening” on Sept. 29 at Dorsey Student Center in Tempe.

International club is an organization for all international students during their time in the USA.

The event started at 7 p.m. and lasted up to 10 p.m. with 60 participants from 20 different countries. Students from Scottsdale Community College, Mesa Community College and Arizona State University became a part of the event.

There was an open session about the subject “Relationships and Marriages” followed by discussions in groups of participants from different countries and a final interactive session sharing the interesting facts about relationships in different cultures.

The event helped bring greater cross cultural awareness, empathy, respect and recognition. At the same time improving conversational English speaking levels and build friendships cross culturally.

Londiwe Khoza, an international student from South Africa studying at Mesa Community College, expressed her happiness in attending the event.

“I learnt a lot of stuff about marriage and dating in different culture and religion and in different countries and I am hoping to learn more,” Khoza said.

Jessica Mills working as an education instructor at Arizona Humane Society and campus staff at International Students Inc. shared her thoughts about the event.

“I love this event because you get to learn all about everyone’s culture and old traditions, new traditions and I always end up in stealing some traditions,” Mills said. “I love coming together, sharing about your beliefs and traditions, it is one of my favorite events”.

Many different discussions came up among the participants. Such as traditions and systems of marriages, the changes in the viewpoint of people about relationships and marriage, and impact of technology on the quality of relationships and values.

Charles Boyle, the chief organizer and the campus director at International Students Inc. expressed his satisfaction in the success of the event and the reason behind the idea of organizing such kind of an event to Northeast Valley News.

“I know the students enjoy hearing some other cultures and so do I,” Boyle said. “I feel satisfied as it was a success and I did learn some new things”.