The Arizona Coyotes blow out the St. Louis Blues 6-0

Arizona Coyotes and St. Louis Blues during the National Anthem

Sarah Hall/SCC

Sarah Hall/SCC

Sarah Hall, Reporter

In a night celebrating US armed forces and the USA Women’s Hockey team, the Arizona Coyotes put on a clinic against the St. Louis Blues.

The Coyotes honored two members of the USA Women’s Hockey Gold Medal Team, Brianna Decker and Amanda Pelkey, were part of a ceremonial puck drop taken by Derek Stepan of the Coyotes and Alex Pietrangelo of the Blues.

There was a steady piece missing from the Coyotes line up. Center Christian Dvorak missed his first game of the season with a lower-body injury and is considered day to day.

In the first period, both teams felt each other out and 15 minutes into the game Luke Schenn scored six seconds after the power play expired with assists from Dylan Strome and Max Domi. The goal was Luke Schenn’s first of the year. The Coyotes controlled most of the first period, but goaltender Antti Raanta had to make key saves to keep the game 1-0.

Sarah Hall/SCC
Todd Walsh speaking to Brianna Decker and Amanda Pelkey during first intermission.

Almost four minutes into the second period, Clayton Keller entered the zone and passed to Richard Panik, who scored on a high glove shot into the next. Keller leads the team in points and goals this season in his rookie campaign.

St. Louis Blues goaltender Jake Allen was pulled after allowing two goals on 14 shots. Carter Hutton came into the game in relief of the goaltender.

The Coyotes kept chipping away at the new goaltender, finally breaking through on the power play at 15:09, as Oliver Ekman-Larsson was able to get the puck in. Throughout the period the Blues had their chances, with Raanta continuing to be a brick wall behind his team.

Jakob Chychrun, who just turned 20-years-old, scored his fourth of the season, high glove side, while Brad Richardson and Ekman-Larsson assisted making the score 4-0.

The Coyotes kept their foot down, scoring two more goals in the third period by Alex Goligoski, his 12th and Zac Rinaldo’s 5th of the season.

Blues Head Coach Mike Yeo spoke about pulling Allen after the second goal after the game.

“The decision to pull Jake (Allen)- told the players, told Jake- that it was not about him. It’s about the schedule we have coming up,” Yeo said. “Jake’s been a warrior for us, he’s been unbelievably for us. We didn’t have much going on at that point.”

Coyotes Head Coach Rick Tocchet said of his team after the game.

“It was a team effort, Rants (Antti Raanta) was Rants. Max (Domi) was great, O (Oliver Ekman-Larsson) was good. I can go down a list of guys,”

Tocchet said. “Especially with guys stepping into the line-up with key injuries and they stepped up.”

The Coyotes shutout the St. Louis Blues, a 34 save performance from Raanta, his 11th of his career and third with the Coyotes this season. This is the worst loss of the season for the Blues. This is also the best win of the season for the Arizona Coyotes since their 5-0 win against the New Jersey Devils Dec. 12, 2017.