A bad season springs up good promises for draft picks

Although much is left to be desired from a team that has not made the playoffs now for eight years, there are some positive takeaways from this season.

Michael Tipton

The Suns continue to hold the NBA’s best record at 39-9.

Tyler Buckland, Reporter

The Phoenix Suns finish their 50th season in The Valley, ending another season with a disappointing final record of 21-61, the worst record in the National Basketball League.

Where the Suns were the best this year, that is the best at losing. Possessing the worst record in the NBA and a total winning percentage of .256. That is good for second worst all time for the Suns followed only by the record they obtained in their inaugural season in 1968-1969 in which they only won 16 games.

So, what does all this mean for the Suns future? Having the worst record gives you the best chance, 25 percent of winning the number one overall pick, when you are a losing NBA team. On May 15 the draft order will be announced ahead of the actual draft on June 21.

Due to finishing last in the league, they are guaranteed to fall no lower than within the top four picks in this year’s draft.

The NBA drafting process is going to see some changes made to it by the NBA to avoid teams tanking in the future, much the National Hockey League has done in previous years. Tanking is when a team loses on purpose to ensure a better place in the draft lottery.

The Suns find themselves in a promising position to draft a franchise player to go along with up and coming stars Devin Booker, Tj Warren, and Josh Jackson. They also have plenty of cap space as well to possibly attract a top free agent this summer.

If there is anything we have learned from watching the NBA, teams can turn things around quickly. Look at the Philadelphia 76ers, just two years ago in their 2015-16 season they finished with an abysmal record of 10-72.

Possible players the Suns they could be looking at in this year’s draft are University of Arizona’s big man Deandre Ayton, who is currently projected as the number 1 prospect in this year’s draft.

Another notable prospect is Duke’s Marvin Bagley III who averaged 21-11-1 during his time there. Others in the projected top 5 picks include European point guard from Real Madrid, Luca Doncic, also Michigan State’s Jaren Jackson Jr., and Texas’s freshman center Mohamed Bamba.

Still, some are understandably skeptical of the Sun’s future and if they will rebound in the same manner that Philly did.

One things for sure, the weather in phoenix is supposed to get much brighter and hotter in the coming months, one can only hope the Suns will look similar in the coming season.