Phoenix Rising unable to defeat Sacramento Republic losing 3-1

Although the Rising were unable to walk away with the victory on the field, the loyal fans managed to sell out the stadium once again with 6,503 in attendance.

Phoenix Rising going upfield

Phoenix Rising going upfield

Cynthia Tapia/SCC

Cynthia Tapia/SCC

Phoenix Rising going upfield

Cynthia Tapia, Reporter

The Saturday, May 19 match in the Valley ended in a loss for Phoenix Rising when they hosted the Sacramento Republic with the final score of 3-1.

The energy from the start of the match up was electrifying due to the honoring achievement of forward Didier Drogba making his 500-career game appearance.

The game started off with high momentum from the Phoenix Rising, but within the first 5 minutes forward Cameron Iwasa from Sacramento Republic had scored his first goal of the night.

The Phoenix Rising managed to rally but shortly after another goal was scored by Sacramento’s midfielder Villyan Bijev now causing the 2-0 lead.

Going into halftime the Rising were still unable to get on the board but that didn’t stop the fans from cheering despite the deficit score.

In the second half of the matchup Phoenix Rising had finally made their mark as forward Christopher Cortez was assisted by teammate and fellow forward Solomon Asante on the first and only goal of the night now bringing the score to 2-1.

Cortez recalled the success behind the goal. “Make sure you’re in a good spot and know where the goal is and be ready for any kind of a cutback.”

The Rising never gave up and the hopeful spirit was felt throughout the stands as fans knew there was still a chance for a comeback chanting defense.

The final minutes of Saturday nights match up ended with forward Wilson Kneeshaw from Sacramento kicking the final goal to further the lead to 3-1.

Coach Patrice Cateron of the Phoenix Rising explained what he felt went wrong. “We lost all our concentration and one mistake after another.”

“We are so much better than tonight and we created so many chances and opportunities to score, it was really a nightmare tonight because one thing was missing we were not efficient offensively and defensively,” Cateron said later on.