Woszczynski notches second consecutive shutout for Phoenix Rising

Members of the

Members of the "Red Fury" drum corp get ready to jam out in the south end zone stands.

Ole Olafson

Ole Olafson

Ole Olafson, Reporter

Phoenix Rising FC Goalkeeper, Carl Woszczynski, earned his second clean sheet in as many games by blanking the struggling Tulsa Roughnecks Football Club on Saturday, June 16 at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex in Scottsdale.

It looked as though the Roughnecks (0-6-7) might surprise the streaking Rising (8-3-4) as much of the first 20 minutes of the game was played at midfield or in the Rising’s end.

The tide seemed to turn in the Rising’s favor after Tulsa, striker, Jhon Perez received a yellow card in minute 30.  Nine minutes later, Phoenix, striker, Chris Cortez scored, with an assist going to Solomon Asante.  Cortez was named USL player of the week, in week two, after a hat-trick and an assist against Energy FC.

The Rising continued to threaten the Roughneck’s goal and were rewarded three minutes later as Phoenix, midfielder, Jason Johnson, made it 2-0 with an acrobatic goal.  Amadou Dia got the assist on Johnson’s highlight reel.  Johnson scored a team high, 13 goals, in 2017 and is the team’s current scoring leader.

The physical play continued right up to halftime with Johnson receiving a yellow card one minute after his goal and Tulsa’s Pirez being shown the red card following his second warning during stoppage time, following the first half.

More warnings were issued during the second half as Rising Midfielder, James Musa and Roughnecks Defender, Francisco Ugarte received yellow cards at 57 and 60 minutes, respectively.

At 73 minutes, Roughnecks Goalkeeper, Fabian Cerda was shown the yellow card and Rising Defender, Joe Farrell received the same treatment five minutes later.

The scoring didn’t conclude until late in the game as Rising Forward Kevaughn Frater put the game out of reach with one minute to play in regulation.  Alessandro Riggi was credited with an assist on the last goal of the game.

Following the game Head Coach Rick Schantz talked about the team’s mind set after a dominant performance against Las Vegas just four days earlier.

“Credit to Tulsa,” Schantz said.  “The first 30 minutes, they made it challenging.  We were really concentrating on staying focused, not give up anything early.  We knew the bodies would start to come around as the game went.  So physically, the preparation was perfect.”

Schantz wrapped up his post-game interview with high praise for game-winning goal scorer Chris Cortez.

“I told my team at halftime. ‘Every time we play the ball into Chris Cortez’s feet something good happened,’” Schantz said.  “If Chris Cortez is winning balls in the air and playing that well with his feet.  I don’t know how you defend this team.”

The team’s next home game is Friday, June 29 when they host Orange County at 7:30 p.m. at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex.