Cardinals Training Camp Red & White Scrimmage Finale

Reporter+Cynthia+Tapia+Captures+Deonne+Bucannon+at+University+Of+Phoenix+Stadium+
Reporter Cynthia Tapia Captures Deonne Bucannon at University Of Phoenix Stadium

Cynthia Tapia

Cynthia Tapia

Cynthia Tapia, Reporter

The Arizona Cardinals head into the 2018 preseason on the heels of the training camp that concluded on Saturday at the University of Phoenix Stadium with the annual “Red and White Scrimmage.

The red and white practice partnered with the 100 club to host a fundraiser and BBQ on the lawn for fallen DPS officer, Tyler Edenhofer and proceeds from the 50/50 raffle were donated to his family and two other injured officers, Sean Rodecap and Dalin Dorris.

Cardinals President, Michael Bidwell presented last years’ pro bowl players that consisted of Patrick Peterson, Larry Fitzgerald, Chandler Jones and Budda Baker with their Probowl jerseys in a framed plaque.

This was not a typical scrimmage as opposed to what fans had experienced in the past, as the team was separated into two groups playing on half of the field. On one end of the field one group was warming up with practice drills and man on man coverage, then on the other end of the field it was the traditional 11 on 11 game day scrimmage.

To set the tone, new Head Coach Steve Wilks implemented his coaching style shown throughout the scrimmage starting with physical contact to encourage competitive energy within the team.

Deone Bucannon, referred to Coach Steve Wilks’s high expectations for the season, “He’s a perfectionist for sure and I respect that” he goes on to mention how that motivates him, I wanna be the best I can be out there, it could be a good play but there is still something you can do better to improve that play.”

Mike Lupati talked the adrenaline rush of getting his number called out for the one on one drills.

“That’s always exciting get things going in the right direction. I think it’s an excellent way to start practice get that first contact out the way,”Lupati said.

Defense showed a strong highlight with gap control coverage and being able to control gaps and get hands on the ball this season will be a key component in the success of this team.

The defense also displayed turnovers and attacking the ball throughout the scrimmage.

Rookie Quarterback Josh Rosen was adjusting smoothly into his new role creating chemistry with the wide receivers and alternating with Sam Bradford on the snaps.

David Johnson was matched up with Chandler Jones and displayed his skills like he never missed a beat— looking strong and healthy going right up the middle.

Although there are several wide receivers now looking to secure a job, Rookie Christian Kirk brought his A game making plays and solid catches.

Another exciting player—and equally fun to watch—was rookie Chase Edmonds in his uncanny ability to constantly surprise the fans with his play throughout the game.

Kicker Phil Dawson and Punter Andy Lee had done an amazing job with field goal kicks and special teams perfecting the small details.

Wide receiver veteran Larry Fitzgerald—as usual—and coming as no surprise—was the fan favorite.

Cynthia Tapia
Cardinals Scrimmage Camp

Patrick Peterson and Budda Baker had high momentum throughout the practice leaving no disappointment to the fans.

Overall the scrimmage was positive despite the injury of offensive lineman, A.Q. Shipley as he was seen carted off the field, Rookie Mason Cole was immediately placed in to cover.

Lupati talked about the mood of the players after the injury.

“It’s always tough when one of our veteran leaders— somebody that’s been in the league a long time and knows what to expect, helps the other guys around him…we’ll be praying for him and we’ll see what happens,” Lupati said.

The Cardinals head into the 2018 football season with a relatively smooth adjustment to Coach Steve Wilks as well as his direction for building a sound but physical team.