Regional, national and global student reporting.

Pet expo serves to amuse and inform

The seventh annual Phoenix Pet Expo allowed owners to display and learn more about their furry friends

Isabel Menzel, Reporter

On April 25 and 26, thousands of Arizona residents spent the day with their furry best friend at the Phoenix Pet Expo at the Westworld of Scottsdale.

The weekend-long event featured approximately 100 vendors from some of the leading companies in pet services and products in the United States.  The event also offered discounted vaccinations, microchipping and flea prevention services.

There were fun and educational activities for all ages, including pet-look alike contests, obedience demonstrations and prize giveaways.  Some animals even had a chance to show their stuff in agility and obedience competitions.

Perhaps the focal point of the expo was that it offered a great opportunity for local rescues and shelters to show off some of their adoptable animals that desperately needed homes.  With the sponsorship of Petfinder.com, over 200 animals were available for adoption at the event, and many guests left with a new companion.  Attendees also had the opportunity to interact with training and animal health-care professionals dedicated to educating owners about proper pet care, and advising them on the healthiest lifestyle choices for their pet.

Animal welfare organizations and rescue groups were invited to inform guests on how they can make a difference the lives of the millions of companion animals in the country that are in need. They encouraged volunteering and brought awareness on serious issues that face pets in the United States today, such as breed-specific legislation and the puppy mill industry, where animals are kept in confined and inhumane conditions and typically develop serious health conditions.