Flake’s tweet reflects opposition to Trump administration

U.S. Senator Jeff Flake speaking at a campaign rally for State Treasurer Doug Ducey at the Yavapai County Courthouse in Prescott, Arizona.

Gage Skidmore/ Flicker

Gage Skidmore/ Flicker

Jesse Tannous, Reporter

Senator Jeff Flake, the United States Senator elected in 2012 and who served with Senator John McCain—sent out a two-word tweet Sept. 1, not long after attending the late Senator’s funeral in Washington D.C.

“Decency Wins.”

Flake has often traded quips with Trump and has openly criticized Trump’s leadership and has even referred to his style of leadership as “poisonous politics”.

The speculation that Flake will seek the primary opposition to Trump in 2020 was fueled even further when he attended a traditional breakfast in Manchester, New Hampshire—known for introducing possible presidential candidates.

The Arizona Republican Senator did not declare his candidacy for the primary opposition to Trump but opened the speculative window a bit wider.

“It has not been in my plans to run for president, but I have not ruled it out,” Flake said at the March breakfast.

It’s never a popular move within a political party to introduce a primary opponent against the incumbent in office but in the case of a Trump reelection—all bets are reportedly off—as Flake suggests in his remark made in late March on CNN’s “State of the Union” telecast.

“I hope that somebody does challenge the President,” Flake said. “What I’m seeing is that there is a crying need out there for some Republicans to stand up and say, ‘This is not normal, this is not right.’”

A recent Washington Post-ABC News poll finds that Mr. Trump’s disapproval rating has hit an all-time high of 60 percent. of Trump’s popularity and in the same poll, an American majority favor Robert Mueller’s ongoing investigation.

The Trump campaign has continued to describe special counsel Mueller’s investigation as a “witch hunt.”