U.S. Women’s soccer stars fight for equal pay

2015+Women%E2%80%99s+World+Cup+Final+

2015 Women’s World Cup Final

2015 Women’s World Cup Final

apasciuto (Flickr)

2015 Women’s World Cup Final

apasciuto (Flickr)

apasciuto (Flickr)

2015 Women’s World Cup Final

Olga Perez, Reporter

Unequal gender wage salaries have occurred in the U.S. and around the globe for decades and the Women’s FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) is no exception

In 2015, Canada hosted the Women’s FIFA with teams from all around the world showcasing the U.S. soccer team win over Japan in a 5-2 victory.

This victory earned the U.S. Women’s team $1.8 Million or, four times less than the men’s 2015 play.

The men’s France team earned $9.3 Million in 2018.

Shortly after winning the World Cup in 2015, five members of the Women’s U.S. soccer team filed a federal court complaint against the U.S Soccer Federation on wage discrimination.

According to an interview with NBC News Women’s U.S. soccer player, Carli Lloyd focused on the fact that women athletes have earned the right to be equally compensated

“I think the timing is right. I think that we’ve proven our worth over the years. Just coming off of a World Cup win, the pay disparity between the men and women is just too large. And we want to continue to fight.”

The Women’s U.S. National team has earned four Olympic gold medals and have won three World Cup games throughout their reign.

One soccer player in particular, Hope Solo, has been with the team for over a decade has since been out front fighting for equality without having much progress with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The attorney for the U.S. Women’s team, Jeffrey Kessler, believes that equal compensation is past due for women.

”When they asked for the same treatment as the men, they were told it was irrational. Now that might be a good answer in 1816. It’s not acceptable answer in 2016,” Kessler said.

The drastic salary differences are affected by key factors in both the men’s and women’s soccer

as the international governing body FIFA awards World Cup bonus money on an exponentially different scale for men and women. The latest men’s champions garnered $35 million—the women—$2 million.

Overall, men receive higher pay in professional sports franchises and clubs while women’s professional soccer for example, is still a low-revenue enterprise in the U.S. and globally.

The U.S. Women’s Soccer team has qualified for the 2019 World Cup in France.

The fight for equal gender wage salaries may not be settled quickly, but the four soccer players that have filed the lawsuit—are poised to fight what might be a long battle.