Happy “Valenstate” day, gets less notoriety

Mita Andary, Reporter

Everyone knows that February, 14 is Valentine’s day and it means that love is in the air.

Pink ribbons, chocolate and flowers are everywhere. But few acknowledge that Arizona officially became a state on the “love” holiday.

Arizona was the 48th state to be admitted to the union before Alaska (January 1959) and Hawaii (August 1959) .

Arizona was originally part of New Mexico, the land was ceded to the United States in 1848 and became a separate territory in 1863.

President William Howard Taft wanted to make Arizona join the United States on February 12, but it would have coincided with Abraham Lincoln’s birthday.

Most Arizonans (especially the few natives that live here) know that the Grand Canyon state has diverse cultures, beautiful lands—from caves, snow-peaked mountains, harsh deserts and forests. There are “unique to Arizona” finds from one end of the state to the other.

The #AZbirthday remains as the second Phoenix trending topic on Twitter after Valentine’s day.

Arizona’s statehood may have slipped by many, if not most Arizonans, but the many reasons why people live in the state and love it—has not.

Some Arizonans did not miss the momentous day for their lovely state. Megan Torrez mentioned she personally does not know that today is Arizona’s birthday, besides she also added the thing that she likes the most about Arizona.

“I personally love the weather, I work with horses, so I need good weather, and I can’t really work with horses in the snow, and I love how we get cold and rain, and how if you want snow, you can drive two-hours away, and it’s beautiful,” said Arizona resident, Megan Torrez.

Scottsdale Community College student, Peirce Brennan, previously lived in Connecticut, and also adores the weather in Arizona. He mentioned that the state has sunshine for 85 percent of the time and up to 90 percent of the time in Yuma Arizona—this is even more than Florida and Hawaii.

“I like the weather, its’ a lot nicer than other places I lived,” Brennan said.

Austin Smith, a native Arizonan admitted that he honestly did not know about about the statehood either but sent a personal wish to Arizona on its 107th birthday.

“Happy birthday Arizona…I wish that is ah, gets less crowded on the freeways, and uh people decide to move elsewhere,” Smith said.

The Grand Canyon in Arizona attracts visitors from all over the world, and the warm climate and American Indian culture make Arizona the number three most visited state among others in the U.S.