Many denounce Alabama abortion law as extreme, legislation ‘insane’

"New Voices" (Flickr)

Rallies against recent attacks on women’s reproductive rights

Jesse Tannous, Reporter

The recent bill that was signed into law last week that would ban nearly all abortions in the state of Alabama, has affected people across the country— one way or another—and has stirred media outrage.

The #Alabamaabortionban has been trending on Twitter since the bill became law.

The Alabama law, according to the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) and legal scholars across the nation will face inevitable court challenges. But many conservatives on the right welcome the challenge—but they want to see a federal challenge—namely, the one in the Supreme Court where anti-choice advocates believe Roe Vs Wade will finally be overturned in a majority conservative court.

One Alabama OB-GYN physician and mother has vowed to continue to provide abortions for the women in Alabama.

“I will continue to deliver babies, give prenatal care—and provide abortions,” said Dr. Yashica Robinson in a recent CNN interview. “Of course, seeing the bill become a reality has taken its toll. I am angry at the politicians who do not see women as responsible decision makers and therefore believe the care I provide should be outlawed. I am enraged that the state of Alabama would force me to choose between what is ethical and medically appropriate care—and breaking the law. I could get a more severe penalty (up to 99 years in prison) for providing safe abortion care than someone who commits second-degree rape.”

Many women are outraged at the new law especially with its no exception clause with regard to a woman becoming pregnant under the condition and criminality of rape or incest.

Northeast Valley News spoke with several women who voiced their concern over the Alabama law.

Haley Robinson, an ASU student says that while she understands the pro-life movement and that life is precious but Haley believes this bill has taken “law” to the extreme and that women and children will ultimately suffer when options are eliminated.

“We have Roe Vs Wade, it has been law since the seventies and I just believe that if the majority of people wanted abortion to be criminalized—that would have been done a long time ago. This law is insane though,” Robinson said.

Robinson is not a mother yet but says that she does not want her future daughters (or sons) to live with the kinds of restrictions placed on individual reproductive choices that the Alabama law would mandate.

“I’m really beginning to question the soundness of mind of some of these representatives in these states. We are talking mostly men and some with no concept of the science, medical ethics of an abortion and certainly no concept of the criminal aspect of rape or incest—and what these horrific crimes do to the female (or male) or children for that matter! I think there is something psychologically wrong with these legislators who are doing this,” said Kelly Navarro, a nurse at St. Joseph’s and a mother of two.

With few exceptions, the women we spoke with believe that the Alabama law has gone too far and that even though states have certain rights, it should not supplant the rights of a woman and her reproductive choices.