California teen dies from COVID-19, youngest reported fatality in U.S.

Flickr

A California teenager has died of COVID-19. Experts urge young people to avoid infection.

Ole Olafson, Reporter

A California teenager has reportedly died from COVID-19.

Jenny Gross and Tim Arango reported for The New York Times that the youth from Lancaster, Cal. in Los Angeles County is perhaps the youngest victim of the disease caused by the coronavirus.

California Gov. Gavin Newson said Tuesday that half of the more than 2,000 confirmed cases in the state are people between the ages of 18 and 49.

“It is a reminder to everyone to take this seriously” Newson said, according to the article.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris told them that the young victim’s father, who had close contact with the public through his job, had contracted the virus.

The L.A. Times also reported that L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a press conference earlier today, that the youth had no preexisting conditions.

The L.A. Times also reported that two Cal State Long Beach students tested positive for the virus and are self-isolating off campus.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told CNN why young people need to be careful about coronavirus.

“You have a responsibility, a societal responsibility, to protect the vulnerable, and you do that — interestingly — by not letting yourself get infected.  You need to make sure you don’t inadvertently pass on the infection to someone who would not fare as well as you because you are young and healthy,” Fauci said.