Volunteer Income Tax Assistance offered at Scottsdale Community College

Ole Olafson

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance can be found at Scottsdale Community College

Ole Olafson, Reporter

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is being offered in the business building on the campus of Scottsdale Community College through April 13.

Persons with disabilities, elderly taxpayers, limited English speaking individuals and those making less than $58,000 per year are eligible for free income tax preparation.

Under the program, IRS-certified volunteers provide “free basic income tax return preparation” as well as electronic filing, according to the informational flyer published by sponsor, Masters of Coin.

Taxpayers needing assistance can make an appointment to meet with a volunteer through the organization’s schedulicity page.

Assistance is being offered at BUS 103, 9000 E. Chaparral Rd. in Scottsdale.

Volunteers will be available to help Mondays and Wednesdays from 4 – 8 p.m. through April 13 and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. through April 9.

Participants are asked to bring a photo ID as well as their Social Security cards and birthdates and S.S. cards of any dependents.  Wage and earnings statements from all employers along with interest and dividend statements.  Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of refunds can be proven by bringing a blank check and it is helpful to have copies of your last two years of returns.

It is also important to know that both spouses must be present to sign forms if filing jointly.

If you are planning to claim daycare costs, be sure to know the total paid and the daycare provider’s Social Security number or Employer ID number.

Lastly, those with insurance through Affordable Health Care should bring forms 1095-A, B or C.

SCC Residential Faculty member Dr. Bill Wyngaard supervises the services.

“Preparing one’s own tax return can be time-consuming, and many people simply need additional assistance to do it correctly,” Wyngaard told SCC Buzz.

Maricopa Community College District requires mask usage inside all of its facilities.