Now is the right time to make a difference in your community by enrolling in JRN 210, News and Media Production, at Scottsdale Community College

Marshall Baker

NEVN reporter Ole Olafson interviews Scottsdale Mayor David Ortega at the Vortex awards at SCC

Ole Olafson, Reporter

Considering the current political and economic climate in the U.S. and around the world, the time has perhaps never been better or the need more urgent to become a journalist.

Friends, neighbors and everyone else in our community rely on journalists for accurate and timely information, and now is a great time to make a difference by becoming a reporter for nevalleynews.org.

Our unique “on-the-job” program teaches you the skills you’ll need to work as a journalist across a variety of platforms including audio, video and written articles.

Students who enroll in JRN 210 News and Media Production will be eligible to create content for our student run and written digital news site, Northeast Valley News.  We encourage our team to cover what’s important to them.  Regardless of age or outlook, you can find a place on our staff reporting on what you are passionate about.

Imagine the difference you could make in your community reporting on senior or veteran issues or perhaps as a political correspondent, consumer advocate or investigative reporter.

Some of our most widely read and commented upon stories have come from one of our “seasoned” staff members, Michael Russell.  His experiences with the Arizona State Veterinary Examining Board following the death of his cat Harper not only pulled at the heartstrings of our readers, but also emboldened several to take action on behalf of their own unfortunately deceased pets.

Whether you’ve already retired or just graduated from High School, now is the right time to get involved and make a difference in your community.

JRN 210 is a hybrid class, meeting in-person from 12:00-2:00 on Tuesdays and live online Thursdays.

Students seeking instructor permission to enroll should contact Janet Richards by email at janet.richards@scottsdalecc.edu.