Unique journalism program at Scottsdale Community College teaches reporting, production skills to students of all ages

Ole Olafson

Hard to argue with this line of thinking!

Ole Olafson, Reporter

Fall semester at Scottsdale Community College starts on Aug. 20.

It is the ideal time for students of all ages to enroll in a unique, on-the-job training program for journalists.

JRN 210, News and Media Production, teaches all the skills that reporters, young and old alike, will need for a career in journalism while they go to school.

New students receive several weeks of intensive training in not only news writing, but also in the audio and video production techniques they will need to ensure their success in the industry.

After the training period has ended, everyone becomes part of a working newsroom, and are eligible to create content for our student-run, student-written, digital news site, nevalleynews.org.

NEVN reporters are encouraged to pursue their passions while working in the medium of their choice. Whether that turns out to be writing, photojournalism, podcasting or videography, JRN 210 puts you ahead of the pack when it comes to getting jobs after graduation.

Once involved, most students remain in the program for multiple semesters, broadening their skill sets and practicing the things they have learned while making contacts for the future.

NEVN reporters can also gain an edge, as well as valuable experience, by taking advantage of numerous internship opportunities with some of Arizona’s most popular organizations, like The Arizona Republic and Arizona Coyotes NHL hockey team.

Whether you have just graduated from High School or recently retired from your former career, today’s political and social climate make it the perfect time to bring awareness to what is important to you.