Scottsdale native Alex Segal feels fortunate to play for his hometown Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League

Atlanta Braves pitching prospect graduated from Chaparral High School

Alex Segal plays for the Scottsdale Scorpions of the AFL

NEVN photography

Jared Heath, Reporter

The Arizona Fall League plays host to more than 200 MLB prospects hoping to showcase their talents with additional plate or pitching appearances  after their minor league season has ended.

It only makes sense that out of those 210 players, at least some of them would be from Arizona. One of those local talents is Scottsdale Scorpions pitcher Alex Segal.

Segal was born and raised in the Scottsdale area and graduated from Chaparral High School in 2016.  He went to Wichita State University and while there, was drafted in 2019 by the Atlanta Braves.

Segal spent his time in the minors between the low and high A-level (A and A+) where he has mainly been part of the bullpen.

This season, he had to deal with a trip to the 60-day IL list with an injury that sidelined him for a large part of the campaign and likely served as the primary reason for his Fall League assignment.

Segal is excited to be playing for his hometown AFL team.

“It’s been great being able to come home and play here.  Growing up I used to go to all the AFL games every fall so it’s a bit crazy being here now,” Segal said.  “ My family’s been to a couple games, they still live out here in the area so they’ve come to watch me a couple times already.”

Segal feels fortunate for his opportunity to play for the Scorpions.

“I’ve gotten really lucky being able to play with the other Atlanta (Braves) guys who have been great to hang out with and play with, and all the other guys — this team is just a lot of great guys that are fun to play with,” Segal said.

Segal has been taking his AFL plate appearances in stride.

“Personally, for me it’s been 50/50, pretty good but obviously some bad you know. I’m really just glad to be out here playing and it’s part of the game,” Segal said.