Forward Josh Doan to exit ASU to turn pro with Coyotes/Roadrunners

Arizona Coyotes legend’s son signed his Entry Level Contract with the Coyotes on Thursday.

The Coyotes newest contracted forward on the set of ‘Coyotes Live’ on Bally Sports Arizona

James Mackey, Reporter

In round No. 2 of the 2021 National Hockey League Entry Draft, the Arizona Coyotes drafted Josh Doan, a forward from the United States Hockey League, where he notched 36 goals and 48 assists, amounting to 84 points.

While with the Steel in the 2020-21 season, he helped the club grab the Clark Cup, and finished third in the league in scoring with 31 goals, 39 assists, 70 points overall in 53 of his 98 games in Chicago.

Doan, son of Coyotes legend, longtime captain, and the only player to have his number retired by the organization, Shane Doan, played his freshman and sophomore seasons with the Arizona State Sun Devils. In his freshman year with the Sun Devils, Doan registered 12 goals, 25 assists, and 37 points overall, setting school records for most points and assists by a freshman.

In his sophomore, and final, year with the Sun Devils, he added 38 points, in the form of 16 goals and 22 assists while wearing the captain’s ‘C’ on his jersey.

On Thursday, the Scottsdale native elected to forgo his junior and senior seasons, and signed an entry level contract with his dad’s old team, beginning in the 2023-24 season.

“We are very pleased to sign Josh to an entry level contract,” Coyotes General Manager Bill Armstrong said in a press release from the team. “Josh has played very well for ASU the past two seasons and has earned this deal.”

Doan will report to the American Hockey League affiliate of the Coyotes, the Tucson Roadrunners, and will appear in his first game with the club on March 17, against the Calgary Wranglers.

“We look forward to continue to watch his development the remainder of this season in Tucson,” Armstrong said.