The Trump cult will end—but at what cost to the U.S.?

“On January 6, Trump was not much different from Jim Jones at Jonestown, as he urged his rabid followers to kill American democracy.” —James Risen
Elvert Barnes (Flickr)
Million MAGA march Gathering Rally at Freedom Plaza Washington DC, Nov. 14 2020

“On January 6, Trump was not much different from Jim Jones at Jonestown, as he urged his rabid followers to kill American democracy.”

A quote in an article written by Intercept journalist and former New York Times and Los Angeles times reporter James Risen last summer after digesting and chronicling “the inescapable conclusion from Thursday night’s chilling prime-time, nationally televised hearing of the House January 6 committee in 2022.  The committee combined a wide range of evidence and testimony to reveal a timeline of the insurrection, showing how Trump eagerly sent his mob to the Capitol and then refused for hours to call them off when they broke into the building. Instead, he wanted to join and lead them. Some of the most damning evidence presented during the hearing was audio of insurrectionist leaders and video from inside the Capitol, showing how rioters were keyed into every Trump tweet in real time and were eager to do his bidding. The evidence showed that the insurrectionists believed—indeed, knew—that they were following Trump’s orders.” 

But the possible game ending buzzer for Americans will land square onto the court of a political permanency stolen by cheaters and liars from the once moderate, conservative U.S. Republican party—a party that no longer exists.

Traditionally, Republicans have rejected the dogma of dictators. 

In fact, the GOP has historically been vocal in spewing claims of “communism” and have called out dictatorships as the worst form of leadership by condemning those across the globe that did not embrace democracy—these authoritative leaders were once seen as an enemy of the West through the Republican Party lens. 

But today, for the MAGA regime, Putin is much less an enemy and more the ideal. 

The longstanding ideology of a sacred democratic republic is being methodically demolished by MAGA GOP leaders and it’s a frightening scenario as to just how intense and focused this goal has become. 

If this doesn’t startle and worry America…then we are indeed—in big trouble. 

This MAGA Republican Party not only embraces all-out authoritarian rule, but it has become the top priority as evidenced by an astonishing onslaught of bills being introduced daily on both the federal and state levels by GOP representatives that parade proposals designed to serve up more and more restrictions and legislation that will limit personal freedoms and choices alongside a complete overhaul of the Constitution’s First Amendment Rights…and once in power—we can be certain—the GOP jowls will never let go again. 

Like all dictators studied throughout history the pattern and methodology of calculated submission by followers is clear and decisive.

Leading historian, Ben-Ghiat, a professor of history and Italian studies at New York University said in a 2022 interview with Politico. 

“He’s (Trump) changed the party to an authoritarian party culture. So not only do you go after external enemies, but you go after internal enemies. You’re not allowed to have any dissent.”

Fast forward and after a Jan. 6 insurrection that Republicans still refuse to call it as such. Add an impeachment and an ongoing hate campaign toward anyone— be it the media, (the largest recorded death threats ever imposed on members of the American media from MAGA followers) and of course anyone who considers themselves the opposition is fair game to threats and harassment—but there’s an especially aggressive response from MAGA cultists toward any GOP leader that have gathered the courage to call out Trump and hold him accountable—these “traitors” are punished, discredited, defunded and mostly silenced. 

Historian Ghiat and others have “ample proof of her thesis.”

“He’s changed the party to an authoritarian party culture. So not only do you go after external enemies, but you go after internal enemies. You’re not allowed to have any dissent.”

These methods and motives fit the hallmark of every cult leader, every dictator and every authoritarian throughout history. 

A clear and categorical power over others that will reign supreme.