Artie’s FIT Market Resource Pantry offers help to hundreds in need

Pantry membership and need for donations rising
NEVN Photography
A portion of the non-perishable food items available at Artie’s FIT Market Resource Pantry.

Artie’s FIT Market Resource Pantry located on the campus of Scottsdale Community College, offers non-perishable food items and personal hygiene products.  The office also facilitates the purchase of subsidized bus passes and occasionally offers free bus passes if available.

The pantry is located at the Office of Student Experience and Leadership in SC 185, in the cafeteria, next to Artie’s Café.

Desiree Farnal is a Student Services Analyst, organizing diversity, equity, inclusion programs and events for the campus, and also oversees SCC’s resource pantry.

Farnal told Northeast Valley News that the majority of the products available to pantry members are privately donated or generated through drives like the one organized last spring semester by Resident Faculty member, Nutrition Program Director Robert Martin, and Phi Theta Kappa.  The drive pitted each SCC department against the other, in and attempt to generate the largest amount of donations.

In addition to the thousands of pounds of food gathered by Martin’s drive, and other private donations, pantry members also benefit from yearly grants through the Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation with Fry’s Food and Drug, as well as other lesser grants.

According to Farnal, the pantry currently has grant funds which will allow them to stock a certain number of school supplies in addition to their usual items.

Artie’s FIT Market Resource Pantry serves nearly 200 students and Farnal says there has been a noticeable increase in the number of students seeking assistance over the last year or so, with around 30 students signing up over the last month.

Farnal attributes the rise in membership as a mix of financial need, more students coming back to campus, and SCC faculty members helping students to be aware of the resources available to them.

To become a member, students need only complete the simple form provided on the pantry’s website.

Artie’s FIT Market recently received an email testimonial from a student who asked to have their personal information withheld, but wanted to share their experience with Northeast Valley News readers.

“It’s hard when you have to ask for help with something you usually are able to provide for your family and yourself, but these ladies (Amber and Kanisha) made me feel comfortable in receiving this help. I was no longer embarrassed to be needing and receiving this help from Artie’s Pantry,” the student wrote.  “I just want to say to these ladies and the rest of Artie’s Fit Market Hunger Team, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Artie’s Pantry helped my family and myself so much!!”

Farnal encourages anyone seeking to make a donation, or if you are having trouble providing food or other resources for yourself or your family, to stop into the pantry Mon.-Thur. 8-5 , Fri. 10-5, or 8-6 Mon.-Thurs. during the summer, or tell a friend who is in need.