Music dominates latest round of National Recording Registry selections

The National Recording Registry has announced new selections to be archived

The cover of the English band Radioheads seminal 1997 record OK Computer. The album is one of 25 new recordings selected for recognition in the Library of Congress National Recording Registry.

Courtesy of Monty Elm

The cover of the English band Radiohead’s seminal 1997 record “OK Computer.” The album is one of 25 new recordings selected for recognition in the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry.

Geoffrey Young, Reporter

The annual archiving of influential recordings and albums through the National Recording Registry has been revealed for 2014, making the year’s 25 inductees part of the 425 overall.

Despite the Library of Congress’ founding in 1800, the archiving of momentous recordings only dates back to 2000, with the the National Recording Preservation Act.  Librarian of Congress James H. Billington says about the act, “Congress understood the importance of protecting America’s aural patrimony when it passed the National Recording Preservation Act 15 years ago. By preserving these recordings, we safeguard the words, sounds and music that embody who we are as a people and a nation.”

Some of the year’s notable inclusions are:

Radio Coverage of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Funeral

One of three recordings to be introduced this year that wasn’t either a single or an album. The inclusion of a radio broadcast of one the nation’s most beloved presidents says a lot more on how influential music can be in capturing the then current state of affairs.

“The Doors” (album)—The Doors (1967)

Despite the British domination of the US airwaves at the time (the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, etc.), the inclusion of the Jim Morrison-fronted Doors acts as a subtle reminder of the nasty Vietnam War era.

“A Wild and Crazy Guy” (album)—Steve Martin (1978)

From President to controversial rock pioneers to a magician turned comedian, Steve Martin’s appearance on this list is just as crucial. As the one-time Disneyland magic shop employee explained in his 2007 memoir “Born Standing Up,” his approach was to convince the audience that he’s the crazy one.

OK Computer” (album)—Radiohead (1997)

Thom Yorke and company’s third studio outing, “OK Computer.” Shattered music executives’ expectations by successfully following up their 1995 sophomore album “The Bends” while also shifting the perspective from Yorke’s personal lyrics to a bleak outlook of the world as whole.

You can view the full list by visiting the LOC’s website.