Phil Robertson declares war on atheism

The "Duck Dynasty" star is at it again, as his commentary on atheism has done more than raise eyebrows

Phil Robertson declares war on atheism

Phil Robertson is no stranger to media scrutiny. His insensitive remarks concerning gays created backlash in 2014.

Courtesy of George Skidmore

Courtesy of George Skidmore

Courtesy of George Skidmore

Geoffrey Young, Reporter

Absurd comments from the mouth of Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson are nothing new but in March, Robertson took it to another level. At the Vero Beach Prayer Breakfast in Vero Beach, FL, Robertson commented that atheists have no morals. To support his theory, Robertson laid out an elaborate, hypothetical home invasion of an atheist’s family. The lunacy goes:

“Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him and then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot ‘em and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now is it dude?’”

“Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, ‘Wouldn’t it be something if this was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We’re sick in the head, have a nice day.’

If it happened to them, they probably would say, ‘Something about this just ain’t right.’”

All grammatical errors aside, Robertson’s theory contradicts itself. The figurative atheist is capable of distinguishing right from wrong by pointing out that, “something about this just ain’t right.” Robertson’s argument deflates at the end of his rant, in part, by logic. Apparently, an Atheist can’t be good or evil or understand right from wrong.

Morality is a convoluted subject, which people tend to attach to religion. I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Rather, I opt to follow the adage, “Treat others the way you’d like to be treated.” I fail to understand how morality and religion correlate. What’s moral about doing things for a reward (Heaven)?

I support those who choose to practice religion as long as there isn’t government legislation that tries to impose any one religion exclusively over another. Robertson’s tirade was originally reported by The Right Wing Watch, an organization eager to point out the lunacy from those of the GOP ilk, and then posted on their personal Soundcloud account. Right Wing Watch’s reporter Brian Tashman appears to be just as baffled by the comments as I am. How Robertson’s comments made it past his public relations team’s screening process, I’ll never know. I’m willing to bet there isn’t one.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised. Upon my first visit of the organization’s web page, I was greeted with a banner condemning “Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz and Pat Robertson.” All three men pride themselves on “Christian Fundamentalist” beliefs. Apparently, Rick Santorum can’t decipher how homosexual marriage differs from bestiality; Ted Cruz wishes the senate had “100 more like Jesse Helms” (a senator who was infamous for fighting minority rights up until his death in 2008 and once sang “Dixie” – the Confederate anthem – to the only African American female to ever serve in the senate) Pat Robertson, televangelist for the 700 Club, answered a distraught viewer’s question regarding her husband’s infidelity as simply, “Well, he’s a man.” I guess it’s safe to assume that in the eyes of Pat Robertson, a man who provides shelter, food and clothes for his family can have his sexual urges satisfied by whomever he pleases; even if that means he has to step outside the marriage to quench his appetite.

Honestly, I think they say this stuff just to enrage me.