Hunks Hauling Junk move world one box at a time

College+Hunks+Hauling+Junk+manager%2C+Mike+Neumayr%2C+loads+one+of+the+companys+signature+moving+vans.+

Danielle Williams

College Hunks Hauling Junk manager, Mike Neumayr, loads one of the company’s signature moving vans.

Danielle Williams, Reporter

There’s nothing sexy about moving but SEX sells and in the moving business, who better to move your sofa than hot college students?

Meet Mike Neumayr, 24 Arizona native, former Lacrosse college athlete and a graduate of Whittier College private school in Los Angeles with a double major in kinesiology and sports management. Neumayr, like many college students, had no idea what he wanted to do after college. Neumayr thought about working with athletes in physical therapy but after some research, he decided against it.

College Hunks Hauling Junk and College Hunks Moving was founded by two lifelong friends Nick Freedman and Omar Sullivan who grew the company from one cargo van to a 50-plus franchise.

His father learned about the company while attending a networking conference and passed the information onto him. Neumayr saw the website, thought it was kind of cheesy and didn’t take it serious. After a second look Neumayr said, “I looked at it as a fragmented market: meaning there is no big dog moving or junk remove company in the Valley so it was a good opportunity.”

Neumayr has taken the niche brand and brought sex appeal to the moving business in the Valley. Neumayr started managing the Phoenix franchise of College Hunks Hauling Junk and College Hunks Moving in August 2012. Neumayr admits the quirky name turns heads and the company’s target demographic is women, however, they do have plenty of male clients.

Teamwork is a major component to the recipe for success within the structure of the business. Neumayr said, “One of the hurdles we have to overcome is college students moving – mentally people don’t want college students dealing with their expensive furniture and belongings.”

To overcome the negative perception, Neumayr pays attention to detail in hiring the right college students for the job. The company process is short of a military boot camp. Neumayr scouts out college students on Craiglist, through employees telling their friends about the company, college campus career day and networking on Facebook and other social media.

The hiring process is lengthy. It starts with an application, three questions and review of their resume. Potential hires are sent five more questions, next they are asked to attach an mp3 or video describing their work ethic. Phone interview, followed by a live interview with Neumayr then a manager and crew member will provide deciding factors on whether to hire. This process takes about three weeks.

Neumayr said, “The ultimate goal is to give back to college students, building leaders and teaching them legitimate business skills. We just don’t teach heavy lifting, packing and loading. They learn profitability. We tell the guys that every truck they go out on is like their own personal business at that point, controlling revenue coming in and expenses going out. At the end of the day, they are looking at every aspect to see where we could have done better to make it more efficient. Customer service and building leaders “We’re looking to move the world!” he said.

“I want our brand to be known as a full service moving company, more importantly building leaders so we really feel like we can move the world by employing one of the most under employed demographic, being college students,” Neumayr added.

Neumayr rewards hard work with the HUNK of the Month recognition. He looks for someone who demonstrates the company’s core values in service experts, building leaders, integrity, punctual, professional and the best wow story of the month. Hunks receive their picture on the wall along with cash prices valued at $25 to $100 and gift cards.

One man’s junk truly is another man’s treasure. The entire office space at College Hunks has been furnished with items that people have discarded. They acquired an arcade Nintendo 64, dirt bike, business table for meetings and chairs for the lounge area.

The franchise founder has had national television exposure on Hoarders Buried Alive and Shark Tank. Neumayr was approached by a matchmaker show in LA., something he’s never perused but is open to.

Neumayr has thought of his future plans. In 10 years he would like to see College Hunks Hauling Junk and College Hunks Moving as a flagship brand and the only option when it comes to moving or hauling junk.

It’s not all work and no play. Neumayr relaxes with yoga, meditation and he hits the gym five days a week.   Neumayr’s personal goal is to have a full-time chief operating officer so he can hit the road and travel to Australia and New Zealand.

Interested in working with College Hunks? Internships are available with paid and non-pay positions. Go to the website collegehunks.com and check the Phoenix location to view all the positions.