SCC international students enthusiastic about presidential election

The election process has fascinated many in SCC’s international contingent

Courtesy of Diego Cambiaso

The United States presidential election will take place on Nov. 8. The winner will be inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2017 in Washington, D.C.

Julian Howay, Reporter, Scottsdale Chronicle

The United States presidential election campaign is a long and tiring process that started way back in 2015 but will now come to an end when the American public casts their votes for Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump on Nov. 8.

Aside from citizens of this country, the U.S. presidential election has also attracted the attention of a number of international students at SCC. This was evident from their enthusiasm from watching the first presidential debate between Clinton and Trump at Hofstra University in New York.

After viewing the first debate, the students were eager to give their opinions on what they saw from the candidates, the debates themselves and how this process differs from the processes in their countries.

“The election this time will be more interesting because there is a female presidential candidate,” South Africa international student Kgothatso Baatile Mohale said. “But that does not mean because I’m female so I support Hillary Clinton. For me she has more proven experience in government than Donald Trump as a businessman.

“When compared to my country, in the U.S. presidential debates each candidate openly attacked each other and expose their weakness. However it is considered normal and acceptable by political opponents. In my country it’s different, so we need to learn. Being president or politician was not for ourselves but for the people we represent,” Mohale said.

Harry Rahawarin is an international student from Papua, Indonesia who also has similar views after watching the first debate.

“Besides the two candidates debating each other about their platforms, the debate was about their personal problems,” Rahawarin said. “This is clearly different from the presidential debate in my country, where private matters of political opponents usually are less talked about by the opponent.

“The US presidential election this time will also provide political lesson and opportunity for the people of the United States to make history. In addition to Barak Obama being the first black president, whether they would choose Hillary Clinton as the first woman to be president or choose Donald Trump,” Rahawarin said.

Roman Jenova Adaikalam, an international student from Tamil Nadu, India, said he was very intrigued when saw the first debate.

“This debate is very interesting,” Adaikalam said. “I think the people in my country need to learn from the process of the presidential election in the U.S. Because in U.S. people can determine their opinions and selection towards presidential candidates freely. While in India, the presidential election process is sometimes marred by a conflict between supporters of presidential candidates.”

All of the international students who were interviewed said they are very thrilled to be able to see the election of a president of the United States. The first debate excited them enough that they are interested in viewing all of the debates including the vice presidential debates.