Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

Cody Achin/Scottsdale Chronicle

Cody Achin/Scottsdale Chronicle

Cody Achin/Scottsdale Chronicle

Cody Achin, A&E Editor, Scottsdale Chronicle

Resident Evil has a long history in the video game industry. The first game, released in 1996, pioneered the horror genre, and has had massive success with its core numbered series. The future of the series became clouded as Capcom continued to experiment with further games. On Jan. 24, Capcom released the seventh entry of the Resident Evil series, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.

RE7 is a glorious return to the roots of the series, focusing on the horror that the franchise is known for. Dark corridors, ominous sounds or no sound invoke that classic RE atmosphere, while at the same time fostering the innovation that keeps the franchise fresh.

First off, RE7 feels like a classic RE game. The player explores a massive environment, trudging through dark halls, aware that every corner could present a monster. It is honestly nerve-wracking, something that the old games did well. Going through the house solving puzzles that feel tied to the atmosphere helps all the better.

RE is 20 years old and it needed new ideas to prevent gamers from finding it stale. RE7 has many new features, with the biggest change being the switch to first-person perspective. All of the games before had a third-person point of view with either a fixed camera angle or a behind-the-shoulder camera. RE7 is all first-person and it works so well. The feeling of terror comes in as monsters get close or when the player hears a sound.

Another change is the new enemy presented in this installment. RE is famous for its zombies and this started with the outbreak in its fictional setting of Raccoon City. RE7 ditches the basic zombie enemy and replaces it with frightening, sometimes twisted, new enemy types.

Capcom should be applauded for bringing back this mighty franchise, as it managed to revitalize Resident Evil while spicing it up with new enemies and perspectives. However, there are two drawbacks. First, the main character Ethan, while being a trooper for pushing through this adventure, seems to react unrealistically to various events that unfold over the course of the game. The second drawback is that the camera does move too slowly at times, even at the highest sensitivity. even at the highest sensitivity the camera failed to move quickly.

But still, RE7 pushed all expectations well beyond where critics had them. The game is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

FINAL VERDICT: 8/10

1 Comment

One Response to “Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic”

1. Sahil Patel on March 1st, 2017 11:25 pm

nathing

*

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

OPINION

Students Talk Back *Week April 15*

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

HUMOR

Short & Sweet with Donovan

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

ENTERTAINMENT

Short & Sweet with Donovan

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

AUDIO

Incomplete Passes 2.0 Ep 17 – AAF Fantasy Frenzy

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

Students Talk Back *Week Mar.18*

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

Short & Sweet with Donovan

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

AUDIO

The 2:15 Ep-16 The Inside Scoop and Deepish Thoughts

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

AUDIO

The 91st Minute – Special Edition: Roma! Roma! Roma!

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

Students Talk Back *Week Feb. 18*

• Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic

Students Talk Back *Week Feb. 11*

Resident Evil 7: A twist on a classic