The United States to host first Super Rugby match

USA Rugby players singing the national anthem during the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England

Patrick Khachfe

Patrick Khachfe

Sandile Lukhozi, Reporter

The USA rugby union’s plan to promote the culture of rugby in the U.S. has taken a further step forward.

The Southern Hemisphere’s largest rugby tournament, the Super Rugby, will visit the United States for the time since the USA rugby union was formed in 1975.

Super Rugby is an annual rugby competition involving teams from Australia, Japan, New Zealand and South Africa.

The Vodacom Blue Bulls and DHL Stormers, both from South Africa would clash against each other in a preseason match to be held at Stub Hub Center in Los Angeles on February 3, 2018.

Later on the same day, the USA’s Eagles would face off with Argentina in a championship match in the same venue.

South Africa is among the leading rugby nations in the world having won the rugby world cup twice alongside Australia, with only New Zealand above them with three world cup titles.

According to DHL Stormers Group CEO, Paul Zacks, this is an opportunity to share the team’s brand of rugby with new and growing markets.

“The world is continuously becoming a smaller place, so exploring new and growing areas of the game forms part of our vision, as we strive to become a truly high-performance organization with global appeal,” Zacks was quoted in the club’s official website.

Rugby is the fastest growing sport in the United States and has been doing so for nearly three decades since the country made its debut in the inaugural rugby world cup in 1987.

According to Super Rugby CEO, Andy Marinos the match would bring joy to rugby fans.

“Super Rugby is one of the premier club rugby competitions in the world, spanning 15 time zones and five countries,” Marinos said. “Even though this is a pre-season match, we are excited that rugby fans in the United States will get the opportunity to enjoy and witness Super Rugby first hand.”

Rugby fanatic, James Fourie shares his insights on the preseason match.

“Bringing overseas clubs would promote rugby in the United States,” Fourie said.  “Moreover, there is every chance the team will improve and become a fearless force among rugby playing nations.”