Some form of gun control passes in Florida

President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump

Photo courtesy of Matt Johnson/Flickr

Photo courtesy of Matt Johnson/Flickr

President Donald Trump

Muhammad Javed, Reporter

After last month’s school shooting in Florida, President Donald Trump sparked a debate in the United States by suggesting that teachers should be armed to protect students.

At least 17 people were killed in the mass shooting in a high school in Parkland, Florida.

“If you had a teacher who was adept with the firearm, they could end the attack very quickly,” Trump said in a report by CNN.

“This would be obviously only for people who were very adept at handling a gun, and it would be, it’s called concealed carry, where a teacher would have a concealed gun on them. They’d go for special training and they would be there and you would no longer have a gun-free zone,” Trump said.

Northeast Valley News spoke to Paradise Valley resident, John Thornton for his reaction on Trump’s statement.

“Arming teachers will not solve the problem of school shootings,” Thornton said. “The idea is impractical and inappropriate. Teachers teach, security forces provide security. In the recent Parkland, Florida case the county sheriff who was armed did not intervene. If trained first responders don’t act, then why would we expect teachers to do any better?”

Thornton expressed what could be a possible solution to ending the gun violence.

“Abolishing mass shootings at schools and elsewhere will likely never be eliminated in the U.S. given the combination of the proliferation of guns and the ability and willingness to use them destructively. Improved curtailments [such as by age or background] and registration would help dramatically though.”

According to NBC News, Americans are at the highest rating ever for wanting stricter regulations against assault rifles. Since the Parkland shooting, talk about gun control have been swarming the news and social media.

At the time of this writing, Florida just passed a bill that has in place these stricter regulations to counter mass shootings. Raising the age to buy a gun to 21 years of age. A three day waiting period to receive the weapon, banning bump stocks, funding police officers and mental health counselors.

This bill is a start for stricter gun laws in the U.S. Whether this law helps or not, it is a clear indication that the U.S. wants some sort of security regarding firearms.