SCC Students clean the environment

SCC students after a

SCC students after a "Adopt A Road" clean up.

Sandile Lukhozi/SCC

Sandile Lukhozi/SCC

Sandile Lukhozi, Reporter

On Feb. 24, Scottsdale Community College (SCC) students joined together and picked up trash along Chaparral and Pima Rd. as they worked towards a cleaner environment.

The clean-up was organized by SCC’s Office of Service-learning and Leadership and was conducted under the name of “Adopt-a-Road.”

“Adopt-a-Road” has been taking place since 2015 and is part of a broader initiative that aims to keep the City of Scottsdale “clean and scenic.”

According to program advisor for Service-learning and Leadership, Michelle Dew, this volunteer activity is emphasizing the importance of caring for the environment.

“Each year during the spring semester and the fall semester we clean this road,” Dew said. “By doing so, we are making the effort to pick up trash and take care of the environment around us. This shows that we can make a difference, even by doing little things because since we have been doing it for the past three years, the trash there has been less and less and I do think it is because we are making a positive impact in our community.”

Sade Haywood, a student at SCC taking Counselling/Personal Development classes, explained why this volunteer activity creates better relations between people and their environment.

“Volunteering for Adopt-a-Road relates to my classes in many ways,” Haywood said. “It is pretty much about volunteering, caring for the environment and in that way, I can become a better individual. It is also about discovering what I want to do with my life. I hope that being part of this volunteer activity indicated to other people as well that a clean environment is important for our lives.”

“Adopt-a-Road” is part of an illustrious list of environment-related volunteer activities organized by SCC’s Service-learning and Leadership.

During the fall semester, Northeast Valley News reported on over 40 SCC students who took part in Coon bluff clean-up along the Salt River.

Later this semester, the City of Scottsdale would also embark on a Citywide “Adopt-a-Road” clean-up on April 12.