Sexuality and Gender Alliance Club hopes to inform, unite, support

Ted Eytan (Flickr)

Trans Solidarity Rally and March in Washington DC

Alyzza Madrid, Reporter

The Scottsdale Community College “Sexuality and Gender Alliance” club is one of the many organizations that aims to inform students about diversity and lifestyle choice.

The club sponsor is Professor Cindy Gemberling.

Information about the club, meeting times and days can be found on the Scottsdale Community College Website where it also states what the Sexuality and Gender Alliance club is all about.

“The club’s purpose is to provide a safe place for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual (LGBTQIA) and Straight students to meet, support, and discuss with each other issues related to sexuality and gender and to educate themselves and the broader school community about sexuality and gender issues.”

SCC student, Josh David Toporek, thought that having this club would be a way for genders to come together as one. The main thing, according to Toporek, is that he would like to see more alliance within men and women.

“They will get out of this club that men and women can work together instead of working opposite of each other,” Toporek said.

Having a club that centers around Sexuality and Gender Alliance is something, it seems, that everyone has an opinion about.

Another student, Natalie Reynolds feels that the topic of Sexuality and Gender is more of a personal thing.

“I think it’s not necessary, I think there should be, maybe, a club to talk about it but not have everyone either be for or against it. It should be a mutual thing not a huge club,” Reynolds said.

The clubs purpose, as stated in their description, is providing an open and safe environment on campus—in order to educate, enlighten, discuss and support.