Cardinals add players, coaches during off season

Jinel (Flickr)

Arizona started the draft with a trade

Jackson Dungan, Reporter

During the recent free agency/trading period of the National Football League (NFL) off season, the Arizona Cardinals traded for a major offensive weapon and brought back a familiar face to the coaching staff.

Arizona made one of the most notable transactions in the league when they traded running back David Johnson, along with a 2020 second round draft pick and 2021 fourth-round draft pick to the Houston Texans in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick and wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. Hopkins had 104 receptions and over 1,000 receiving yards with Houston last season.

The trade is currently pending physicals for both parties and is expected to be completed well before the start of the season.

The trade seems timely as DeAndre Hopkins will fall under the mentorship of future Hall-of-Famer Larry Fitzgerald, who is currently helping guide second-year, Heisman winning, quarterback, Kyler Murray into a leadership role.

The aforementioned Fitzgerald signed a one-year contract extension worth $11.5 million.

Other notable offseason moves for the Cardinals include signing running back, Kenyan Drake, to a one-year transition tag tender offer through the 2020 season.  The amount of pay a transition tag player receives is generally the average of the top 10 players at the position rather than the top five as a franchise tag player would receive.  The transition tag also gives Arizona the right to match any offer Drake might receive from another team.

Former Chandler High School and UCLA quarterback, Brett Hundley, was resigned by the Cardinals for another season to backup starter Murray.  Hundley was drafted in 2015 by the Green Bay Packers where he served as a backup for Aaron Rodgers.  He played in 15 games for Green Bay throwing for nearly 2,000 yards.

Directly following the Super Bowl, the Cardinals brought back Brentson Buckner, as defensive line coach.  Buckner served in that same capacity for Arizona from 2013 through 2017.  He has also coached for Tampa Bay and Oakland during his 10 year career.

Arizona also added Jim Dray, Mark Naylor, Derius Swinton Charlie Bullen, Don Shumpert and Spencer Whipple to their coaching staff.

As of now, there have been no clear indications whether or not the NFL season will begin as scheduled due to the Coronavirus Pandemic.