Spring semester classes at Maricopa County Community College District to follow CDC, public health guidelines

Sarah Hall/SCC

Maricopa Community College District Office

Ivana Venema-Nunez, Reporter

For most students taking classes in the Maricopa County Community College District, spring semester began this week.

With the start of the new term, Maricopa Community College District is setting up guidelines for students, faculty members and staff to return to limited in-person learning following the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and State and local Public Health Guidelines at the 10 MCCCD schools in the Phoenix area.

The district’s efforts in making Maricopa colleges safe will include marking 6-foot spacing with tape, designating hallways and stairways as one-way, and limiting capacity in classrooms, other learning spaces, conference rooms and elevators. 

Face masks will be required on all MCCCD properties.  Cleaning and disinfecting will increase and students, staff and faculty will be advised to stay home when sick. 

Some colleges are planning to have mandatory temperature stations for students, faculty and staff before entering one or more buildings on campus. 

“In reopening our colleges, the health of our students, faculty and staff is our number one priority.” the district’s website states. 

Laboratory classes will be in hybrid/virtual style classes and may include times when faculty and students will be able to schedule in-person learning, according to the video released by Maricopa Community Colleges District.

There are five different learning-style options which should accommodate most student’s needs:  Online, virtual online, hybrid, live online and in-person.

The average number of students per in-person class is six, according to Matt Hasson, Chief Communications Officer for the Chancellors Office.

The district recommends submitting a Religious Accommodation Request form if wearing a mask goes against the religious preference of a student. Aside from that, refusal to wear a mask may result in discipline up to and including suspension, according to the district’s website. 

When exhibiting symptoms, faculty and staff are encouraged to self-quarantine for 14 days. 

According to the district’s website, if you test positive for COVID-19 after classes start, it is not necessary to bring a doctor’s note or a negative test to return to campus. 

“We recommend that you only return to campus after going three days with no fever, your respiratory symptoms have improved, and it’s been at least 10 days since your symptoms first appeared.” 

Students are also subject to the same requirements and if they live with someone who has COVID.  They will be encouraged to complete an online reporting form in order to contact trace and a staff member will be in contact for further steps. Students should remain home until the process is complete. 

Faculty will reportedly work with students to provide online support and materials if the student needs to quarantine.