Arizona Diamondbacks sign Mesquite High graduate Zach Davies from free agency

James Mackey

A great day for a Spring Training game at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick

James Mackey, Reporter

As Spring Training moves inexorably forward, the Arizona Diamondbacks are adding to their arsenal through free agency.

According to an article posted to MLB.com, the Diamondbacks reached a one-year contract deal with former Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Zach Davies.

Davies graduated from Mesquite High School in Gilbert, Az. in 2011.  There, he recorded 13 wins, and six losses, with a 3.08 earned run average, 14 strikeouts, and 38 walks, as well as 54 earned runs across 122.2 innings pitched.

Davies came into the league with the Baltimore Orioles, who drafted him in round 26 of the 2011 MLB Draft, the No. 785 overall pick.

“Bat Boy” as he is nicknamed, has been with three different clubs since his debut in 2015.  He spent four years with the Milwaukee Brewers, a season with the San Diego Padres, and most recently, spent last season with the Chicago Cubs.

Davies holds a career line of 56-48, in 155 games, with a 4.14 ERA, in 831.2 IP, and 611 strikeouts in the MLB.

Across the 2021 season with the Cubs, the six-foot, right hander started 32 games, with a 5.78 ERA, in 148 IP, recording 114 strikeouts, as well notching a 6-12 record.

The contract is projected at one-year, for $1.75 million guaranteed.

As of Wednesday, the Diamondbacks have 17 Spring Training games left, and begin their season on April 7 with two homestands; four games against the San Diego Padres and two against the Houston Astros.