The partnership between the Arizona Coyotes and Goodwill seen as a positive impact for Valley

Arizona Coyotes and Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona partnered on a community benefitting sponsorship deal

Arizona Coyotes Press Release

The Coyotes newest agreement with Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona is heavily based on supporting the community.

James Mackey, Reporter

On Thursday, the Arizona Coyotes announced in a press release, a home partnership with Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona.

Players will sport the Goodwill logo on their helmets during all home games and practices for the remainder of the 2022-23 season and playoffs and into the foreseeable future.

The deal is “one of the biggest helmet sponsorship deals in the NHL” according to the Coyotes—but it goes deeper than just supporting Goodwill stores.

Coyotes CEO Xavier A. Gutierrez said that the partnership “aligns with our focus on impact and our efforts to leverage the power of sports to make a difference in our community.”

The CEO of Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, Tim O’Neal, said the collaboration will help Arizonans find jobs that offer sustainable living wages. 

The deal also includes support for the Excel Center in Phoenix, a facility offering adults 18 and older a full high school curriculum and diploma, as well as academic and life-coaching.

Those involved in the dual project talked about the experience of personally giving something back to the Valley community. 

“It’s big for me,” said Ryan Humphries of Goodyear. 

“It’s something I enjoy doing, so it’s nice to know something I support, also does the same aspect I feel. It’s huge to know they give back to the community. I feel like if I need help, they’d be there for me.”

Despite the move to a much smaller arena, and amid some criticism over the relocation, Coyotes fans that spoke with Northeast Valley News see the new home ice for the Coyotes, Mullett Arena, as well as the partnership with Goodwill, as a positive step toward growing and solidifying a new game in Arizona. 

“It’s amazing honestly, I feel like it’s one of the ways we can grow hockey in the desert. There is a lot of criticism, there’s a lot of constant ‘When are they gonna move em?’ and I think that this is just another way that it proves that they are here to stay, and they are giving back and they are always involved with the city,” said longtime Coyotes fan, Jeff Welch from Phoenix.

Jason Chacon, told Northeast Valley News that he’s been at Coyotes games since day one and believes the Goodwill partnership is a great move. 

“Giving back to the community is what we need, and it needs to continue to happen,” Chacon said.