Saguaro ousts Perry from 6A football playoffs behind star running back Jaedon Matthews

NEVN Photography
Perry vs Saguaro in 6A quarterfinals

Friday night’s 6A state championship quarterfinal matchup between No. 6 Perry and No. 3 Saguaro was highly anticipated by many high school football fans around the Valley—and they were not disappointed.

The game was a battle of running backs, but in the end, Saguaro three-star recruit Jaedon Matthews came out on top with his three-touchdown performance.

“Best running back in the state, period,” said Saguaro quarterback Mason Bray about Matthews.

The game had a wild start, with both teams exchanging fumbles.

Like everyone predicted, it was a close game at halftime, 14-10 after Saguaro kicker Bo Hampton clanked the upright.

In the second half, Perry refused to let Saguaro pull away and kept the game within two scores going into the fourth quarter.

The Puma’s defense pressured Bray most of the game, but he used his legs and displayed his ability to extend plays.

“Me being able to get out of the pocket and give my receivers a little more space definitely helps our offense move,” Bray said.

Down 35-16 late in the game, Perry quarterback Diesel Taylor found running back Don Tinsley in the end zone to make it an 11-point ball game.

Things got very interesting when Perry recovered the ensuing onside kick with a little under four minutes left at the Saguaro 40-yard line.

Once again, Tinsley wound up punching it in for the Pumas to cut the lead to three points with 2:30 left in the game.

But, after Perry failed to recover their second onside kick attempt, Matthews broke loose for a 55-yard rush and his third touchdown of the night to seal the victory for Saguaro.

“Our approach was just being humble and doing our part,” Matthews said. “My man Jacob Brown went crazy, Mason Bray, JC Dickerson… man we all been practicing and executing.”

Saguaro advances to take on No. 2 Salpointe Catholic Nov. 24 in the 6A semifinals. Salpointe defeated Williamsfield 35-25.