Current phase of Chaparral road construction at Scottsdale Community College scheduled to end Oct. 9

New phase east of campus expected to continue until Oct. 29
NEVN Photography
Traffic waits to pass under the 101 overpass at Chaparral Rd.

Recent construction and detours on Chaparral Road, directly south of Scottsdale Community College, has not only led to inconvenience for staff and students, but it has also left some confused about the timing and wondering when traffic patterns will return to normal. 

Eric Sells is the Director of Marketing at Scottsdale Community College and has been communicating with members of the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community, regarding the project. 

“It’s best to spell out the fact, this is not a Scottsdale Community College event,” said Sells. “This is something that SRPMIC is doing as part of their infrastructure efforts for the community.” 

Sells also explained the timing of the construction. 

“We were informed early on in the process, their intent was to do it in the summer,” said Sells.  

According to Sells, the project was delayed, until it wound up impacting the heavier traffic of fall semester.  

To the relief of many, it seems that the current phase of construction will be ending early next week. 

According to a Sept. 28 campus-wide email from SCC President Eric Leshinskie, all lanes on Chaparral Road between the 101 freeway and campus are expected to be open on Oct. 9.   

However, according to the same email message, a new phase of construction will begin east of campus to Dobson Road. 

From Oct. 9 through Oct. 27, the email states that the intersection of Dobson Rd. and Chaparral Rd. will be closed, as well as both traffic lanes between Dobson and the SCC campus. 

Drivers will need to follow Indian School Rd. westbound and then drive north on the 101 freeway to the Chaparral Rd. Exit to access campus. 

Further announcements will likely be made if scheduling changes occur or new information is made available.